Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250/220 Tyres

Tango

Having managed to obtain the geometry settings for the new IS250, analysis suggests it's going to suffer from similar tyre problems to the IS200 (non-sport models) before Dr Bones corrected a few hundred and Lexus GB adopted his revised settings.

The first generation IS experienced severe wear on the inner edge of the front tyres on the Lexus factory settings and it's suspected the second gen may follow suit.

Has anyone noticed any excessive or uneven wear? You'll need to put the wheels on full lock to check it :huh:

Have checked mine but having changed the wheels & tyres after only 4000 miles they didn't tell me a lot. :blush:

Has anyone noticed any excessive or uneven wear? You'll need to put the wheels on full lock to check it :huh:

Have checked mine but having changed the wheels & tyres after only 4000 miles they didn't tell me a lot. :blush:

Tango's post could be a real life/money saver... The prompt to turn the steering on full lock is very valid since the camber killer tyre wear lurks on the very inside of the tyre... next time you are at the car do it!.. costs nothing... don't do it may cost ?

Having managed to obtain the geometry settings for the new IS250, analysis suggests it's going to suffer from similar tyre problems to the IS200 (non-sport models) before Dr Bones corrected a few hundred and Lexus UK adopted his revised settings.

The first generation IS experienced severe wear on the inner edge of the front tyres on the Lexus factory settings and it's suspected the second gen may follow suit.

I have the same issue, although I have done a few more miles (27k).

Back tyres are fine, loads of tread, but both front ones are nearly bald on inner edge, but with plenty of tread accross the rest of tyre.

I am going to book an appointment with Dr Bones, to get two new tyres, and full geomentry done at the same time.

I think it would be wise for ever IS250/220 owner to get to Dr Bones ASAP after getting their car, to extend the life of their tyres.

Having managed to obtain the geometry settings for the new IS250, analysis suggests it's going to suffer from similar tyre problems to the IS200 (non-sport models) before Dr Bones corrected a few hundred and Lexus UK adopted his revised settings.

I have the same issue, although I have done a few more miles (27k).

Back tyres are fine, loads of tread, but both front ones are nearly bald on inner edge, but with plenty of tread accross the rest of tyre.

I am going to book an appointment with Dr Bones, to get two new tyres, and full geomentry done at the same time.

I think it would be wise for ever IS250/220 owner to get to Dr Bones ASAP after getting their car, to extend the life of their tyres.

Although satellite companies have voiced concern regarding the front tyre wear, wim personally has not witnessed the actual pattern directly... If we are within the IS200/300 realm then problems will encompass the solution since the IS250 has no direct Camber adjusters!!!!!

Reads worrying.... Well maybe not.. If the dynamics are incorrect and the IS200/300 is an overlap Geometrically then we are able to construct adjusters to compensate... but to ensure this is a real problem we need more cars to realise the repetition within the same parameters.... This would then allow testing and finally our solution.... I must say though if this is an extension of the IS200/300 problem then i do indeed pants Lexus for allowing this again!

OK, checked mine today. Slighlty more wear on the inside edge on drivers side than on outside edge ( max 1mm at a guess ) and on the passenger it's maybe maximum of 1.5mm). It's on the final bit of tread on the edge of the tyre not the normal four deep grooves in the middle.

This is less than I has at a similar mileage on the IS200 Sport with styling kit & wheels which also had feathering along the inner edge.

OK, checked mine today. Slighlty more wear on the inside edge on drivers side than on outside edge ( max 1mm at a guess ) and on the passenger it's maybe maximum of 1.5mm). It's on the final bit of tread on the edge of the tyre not the normal four deep grooves in the middle.

This is less than I has at a similar mileage on the IS200 Sport with styling kit & wheels which also had feathering along the inner edge.

Thanks for the feedback Steve. What about the rest of you 250/220 drivers?

After having a good look at the original tyres I took off my 250 the wear on the inside edges of both front tyres is noticably more than across the rest of the tyre width even though they have covered less than 5000 miles. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
Ive just noticed that i have uneven tyre wear on the inner side, gonna have to get new tyres after xmas and get the tracking sorted too

Can you let us know how many miles the worn tyres have done? And please don't just have a tracking done!!! in an attempt to solve the wear (it won't). Team LOC can help once you have an image of the cars chassis by a full Geometry.

• 3 weeks later...

8000 miles on RE 050 s.Absolutely even wear so I dont think we should all panic at this stage.

My previous 2004 IS200 sport design with standard 17" did wear slightly more on the toe in edge but not enough to panic about.the tyres were due for replacement by that time anyway.

The geometry of all cars are not set neutral and CAN be part of the actual handling set up!

remember the likes of the Triumph Vitesse....a nightmare!!!

8000 miles on RE 050 s.Absolutely even wear so I dont think we should all panic at this stage.

My previous 2004 IS200 sport design with standard 17" did wear slightly more on the toe in edge but not enough to panic about.the tyres were due for replacement by that time anyway.

The geometry of all cars are not set neutral and CAN be part of the actual handling set up!

remember the likes of the Triumph Vitesse....a nightmare!!!

The Geometry is part of the set-up but it's not meant to be sacrificial at the tyres. The modern cars chassis has moved on a little since the Vitesse (thankfully)

]

]The Geometry is part of the set-up but it's not meant to be sacrificial at the tyres. The modern cars chassis has moved on a little since the Vitesse (thankfully

Yes thats why I mentioned that the vitesse was a nightmare....but there are so many variables in suspension design that a manufacture will settle for a considered trade off ....even the load in running has a large effect on the angles toe in etc with different suspension systems.

Today with the electronic test and allignment equipment that you professionals use you could probably test a car each week and get slight variations in your readings.

I took a car of mine in eighties 5 times to the then new electronic tracking and set up centre to try and cure excessive toe in wear\\.Each time he adjusted it differently but did not manage to cure the problem!.

I eventually cured it myself with old fashioned alligment methods...

So dont change your whole suspension settings just to get rid of MINOR toe in wear as you could be putting all other settings out just to save a few miles tire wear!!

]

]The Geometry is part of the set-up but it's not meant to be sacrificial at the tyres. The modern cars chassis has moved on a little since the Vitesse (thankfully

Yes thats why I mentioned that the vitesse was a nightmare....but there are so many variables in suspension design that a manufacture will settle for a considered trade off ....even the load in running has a large effect on the angles toe in etc with different suspension systems.

Today with the electronic test and allignment equipment that you professionals use you could probably test a car each week and get slight variations in your readings.

I took a car of mine in eighties 5 times to the then new electronic tracking and set up centre to try and cure excessive toe in wear\\.Each time he adjusted it differently but did not manage to cure the problem!.

I eventually cured it myself with old fashioned alligment methods...

So dont change your whole suspension settings just to get rid of MINOR toe in wear as you could be putting all other settings out just to save a few miles tire wear!!

The ability to asses reasons rests with us old peeps because triangulation complimented with a smattering of knowledge has been converted to the computer screen... I admire anyone able to belay the computer and address the problem directly, seemingly you are one of those people.... I tip my hat sir!

@wim,

Its reasurring to know that there are still people like yourselves out there who actually take allignment seriously!!!...there are so many fob off merchants around!!!......I tip my hat to you!!!

@wim,

Its reasurring to know that there are still people like yourselves out there who actually take allignment seriously!!!...there are so many fob off merchants around!!!......I tip my hat to you!!!

We are still out there (the old school) educating today's students is just a little harder nowadays! In truth most amaze me, they are highly intelligent, able to maths trigonometry in their head, eat degrees and minutes for lunch, predict all elements of chassis dynamics......... But they have no skill hands on! In my book that's a failure.... Whereas the old school we had a spanner and a banana for lunch and we did figure the problem out!

Off box now :D

My 18/240/40 Dunlops after 5000miles are both identical ref-toe - in :i.e. 7/7/7/6mm.with no feathering on the inner end tread block.

Tel :driving:

My 18/240/40 Dunlops after 5000miles are both identical ref-toe - in :i.e. 7/7/7/6mm.with no feathering on the inner end tread block.

Tel :driving:

Excellent!.. Our ambition is not to read about the historical poor tyre wear suffered by the IS200/300 SC again, only to warn the seemingly there has been some continuation so be wise!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Me again, same old story :(

Lexus IS250 SEL Auto, 10 months old, show with Toyo:

front right 3, 6, 3

front left 2, 6, 3

rear left 4, 5, 3

rear right 4, 5, 3

Reminds me of the IS200 sand worse than my previous IS250 considering it's done half the miles :(

Do Toyo tyres wear more than the other standard fir? Sure my last ones were Bridgestone or Pirelli.

Me again, same old story :(

Lexus IS250 SEL Auto, 10 months old, show with Toyo:

front right 3, 6, 3

front left 2, 6, 3

rear left 4, 5, 3

rear right 4, 5, 3

Reminds me of the IS200 sand worse than my previous IS250 considering it's done half the miles :(

Do Toyo tyres wear more than the other standard fir? Sure my last ones were Bridgestone or Pirelli.

The Toyo tyres are a softer compound I think, the old trade off of grip versus wear. Saying that my T1-R's are still going strong with even wear coming up to 20K miles, although the rears are wearing more than the fronts and will probably need changing in the next 2-3K miles.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links