Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tesco Super 99 Ron Vs Bp Ultimate 97 Ron

P4UL T

I have been using a mixture of the above two recently,

Even though the BP has a lesser ron value it seems to make my untuned GS peform better and feel smoother.

I was supprised by this, as I thought the 99 ron would have gave better performance?

Anyone else found the above to be true or am I going mad?

Thanks

Paul

I have been using a mixture of the above two recently,

Even though the BP has a lesser ron value it seems to make my untuned GS peform better and feel smoother.

I was supprised by this, as I thought the 99 ron would have gave better performance?

Anyone else found the above to be true or am I going mad?

Thanks

Paul

I used BP, when i had supercharger on, found that i got same performance, but better mpg :o

I think chris s post about this B4, and he had the same as myself :D

I am just starting to use Tesco as I am in Chelmsford for about 3 or more days a week at the moment and there is a Tesco on the way home.

Not noticed too much yet, only on the first tank... but of course I will fill in teh old mpg chart and let you all know in a few K miles time :)

I have to admit my car feels peppier on V Power against Tesco 99, that stuff comes and goes, seem to get a few bad batches of the Tesco stuff, but you can definitely feel the difference over the 95 RON stuff!

Never tried Ultimate in this one though, what's the price, I paid 86.9 for Tesco 99 a couple of days back - for some reason it was the same price as standard which was a winner - must have been a mistake as today they put the price up to 91.9!!!

Plus Shell VPower is 16p a litre cheaper.

:blink: :o so howmuch do you pay for it Lee?

For BP ultimate it is 105.1

Shell VPower is 89.7 yesterday.

:o

BP must stand for Bend you over and Pump you up the ***!

That's a huge price hike!

Guys ... from what i've been told unless your car it mapped for higher ron you are wasting your money....

Aido's being an import and a twin turbo probably should be run on this all the time to prevent detonation....

I just use normal stuff, I know I shouldnt but the only place that sells higher ron round here is BP and they are a rip off at 102.9p /liter so i refuse to do it. tesco's only has the normal here. I used to use shell (was optimax) in my old jap car as I used to pass one every weekend and that stuff was 20x better than bp ultimate or any other high octain petrol. the car ran better, had better MPG, started better and basicly had a cleaner exhaust than when with the others(has no cats). the great thingwas that it wasn't a massive price hike to it so the cost per mile was a little cheaper because the MPG results.

cant recomend shell enough.

Guys ... from what i've been told unless your car it mapped for higher ron you are wasting your money....

Aido's being an import and a twin turbo probably should be run on this all the time to prevent detonation....

You have the option to reset the ECU or it'll re-set itself after a couple of tankfulls of the higher octane.

I use BP Ultimate and get perverse pleasure in the knowledge that BP pay for all my business miles :D

I did used to get better mpg in the IS which was NA when I used anything above 95 ron, they did some tests a while back which did show though that some cars don't see any difference when using higher octane fuel.

It does seem to be the Jap cars that see the biggest change, the Supra guys basically say that you're ok running an NA on standard 95, but a TT definitely requires 97 and upwards really!

There's a nice video here - some of you may have seen it :

http://www.peterbetts.co.uk/Fifth_Gear-Thor_Racing.avi

Surely the benefits are inside the engine, isn't it supposed to be cleaner and better for the engine?

I only drive my car about 30 miles a week now so the 2/3p a litre more doesn't really bother me as long as it is better for the engine as Shell say it is??

Ill be honest I have tried all the majors!

Shell Optimax now V Power

Tesco 95 and 99 RON

BP 95 and Ultimate

Jet

Total

Esso

And they only difference I noticed was in my head! Its all psycological if u think its better it will be!

Did you try and measure anything or just fill up and see if it felt different?

Well I have put through around 200L of SUL from Tesco now and the average mpg is better than that of Optimax, but I did run through about 1700 litres of that so still early days !

Just had a good run back from Teesside with the cruse set to 70mph for nearly all the time (average speed of 66mph) and returned 28.9 MPG which was nice :)

IS300_MPG.jpg

V-power i would say is better than the tesco super.

The German stuff is. What the table doesnt show you is we were driving everywhere at 100+ MPH when I had it in the car, and it is only the German stuff, so only chance to fill up is when there.

V-power i would say is better than the tesco super.

The German stuff is. What the table doesnt show you is we were driving everywhere at 100+ MPH when I had it in the car, and it is only the German stuff, so only chance to fill up is when there.

hehehe, good times :)

vPower is 100Ron in Germany and only 99Ron over here

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links