Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheels....

jackal

I recently bought some 18's that came off a MKI Aristo, they fitted straight on no probs, they are Magnisium IForged rims.

The only problem is since i had them refurbed ive got a vibration at 60-70, i had them refurbed at the BodyShop where i work who are a approved VW,AUDI,SEAT,SKODA and PORSCHE so there not some back street place.

Ive had them balance 3-4 times now and with professional wheel balancing machines and they tell me that they are balanced fine, ive got Pirreli Rosso P1 on the front and Bridgestones on the back.

The lower balljoints have been replaced and I am now looking into getting a set of front bushes, its just weird that since ive had them refurbed its started to vibrate.

To cut the long story short if anyone lives in or around the northamptonshire area and has a spare set of wheels they wouldnt mind be borrowing for 20mins to take the car up the dual carriage way it would be very appreciated as long as they are balanced nice and are not warped like my OEM lexus ones lol

Thanks

I had this same problem on my old Impreza, it ended up being one of the tyres being slightly fubar which was causing the problem. Worth checking I suppose, I spent ages getting the wheels balanced then checked over again and again only for it to be one of the tyres being slightly warped.

Change your rear wheels with the front ones. If the vibration stops then you know it is one of the (now) rears and like Peejay says probably a tyre problem

I had this same problem on my old Impreza, it ended up being one of the tyres being slightly fubar which was causing the problem. Worth checking I suppose, I spent ages getting the wheels balanced then checked over again and again only for it to be one of the tyres being slightly warped.

I thought it could be the tyres as well but there only 1 month old and i wouldnt expect any problems with Pirreli's thats why i went for the best brand i could afford.

Ive been back to the place where i had them fitted and they have checked the run out on the tyres and they were fine.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T7RY B @ May 12 2007, 11:24 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Change your rear wheels with the front ones. If the vibration stops then you know it is one of the (now) rears and like Peejay says probably a tyre problem

There is a slight vibration at 100 from the rear that wasnt there before i had the wheels refurbed, the wheels are 9" front and 10" at the rear so no chance of being able to change them around.

Possible Alignment problem? That's the only thing that springs to mind considering it's vibration from the rear after changing wheels/tyres.

Also the place that put the wheels back on ... did they just use airguns and randomly screw the bolts on? IIRC there's a theory where the wheel nuts have to be tightened in a star pattern?

Possible Alignment problem? That's the only thing that springs to mind considering it's vibration from the rear after changing wheels/tyres.

Also the place that put the wheels back on ... did they just use airguns and randomly screw the bolts on? IIRC there's a theory where the wheel nuts have to be tightened in a star pattern?

I will probley get the alignment done once i get it lowered with the coilovers so i dont have to do it twice lol

When i had the wheels refurbed at my work and refitted them i always do the star pattern with the bolts,even the place that blanced the wheels (PORSCHE) should of used the star pattern lol.

Someone must have some Lexus wheels lying around that they have replace with there aftermarket ones :blink:

is it shaking the steering wheel at these speeds? or is it shaking lower in the body and you can feel it? steering wheel=wheels and tires. body=alignment

The steering at 70ish and the floor a little bit at but not very much, the rear at 100 and shakes the spoiler.

Double check to see if the wheel's aren't already bent and check pressure across all four tires...also since you said it's in the rear - have you had a look to see if there's any play in the rear steering rack?

Double check to see if the wheel's aren't already bent and check pressure across all four tires...also since you said it's in the rear - have you had a look to see if there's any play in the rear steering rack?

Tyre pressures are fine all round checked today, i made sure before i bought these wheels were not bent like my OEM were,Im positive its the wheels.

The wheels needed a fair bit of work and because they are magnesium not alloy when they were fillered it must of upset the balance of the wheels badly :crybaby:

See if you can take it to another shop to get them balanced...?

Also see if you can put the old set of wheels back on the car, to see if the problem still persists - just to rule out any suspension problems or anything of the kind...always good to be 100% sure. If the problem still persists, then it's the suspension or something along those lines...if it doesn't it's definitely the wheels and/or tyres.

If the problem exists with only the new set of wheels, I'd suggest Dr Bones/WIM...see if they can work out what the problem is. Normally a reputable shop should be able to tell you if there's a problem with the wheels or not. IIRC there's two (or more) ways of how you can get a wheel balanced...one is foolproof the other is not so much.