Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Con Question

if not had my ac on very much over the winter the odd day a week to keep it regulated or whatever its called but mainly with a bit of warm air blowing through it

now its started to get warmer and boiling in the car i turned it on the other day and found that i had some slight problem that the passenger side ac blows ice cool air out and the drivers side only coolish air and nothing compared to the other side and i don't really no what the problem is

its like the car is split in 2 the passenger side gettin nice freezin air and the drivers side getting cool air which only feels a little cooler than the lowest setting on the heater

any1 have any clues to what it could be

im really hopeing some1 in the know tells me it just needs re-gasing and id be a very happy bunny other than that i have no clue and prob cost x£ to fix knowing lex

Ayup hows u :question:

Sorry carnt help :crybaby: u fancy comeing 2 the Doncaster Meet & Yorkshire Meet weve got 2 new members from Doncaster now :)

Hope u get it sorted :unsure:

Iv just cleaned my Air Con a few mins ago

Sorry carnt help :crybaby: u fancy comeing 2 the Doncaster Meet & Yorkshire Meet weve got 2 new members from Doncaster now :)

depends when it is if im free i will come yes

just wish some1 could shed any light on this ac thing as im hoping to sell soon and get a rx300 so need a couple of little bits sorting

could be the heater vent blocked or come away.does the same amount of air come out of each floor vent.try it on manual and see whet happens.dont think it needs a regas as you are getting cold air but just one side.sounds like one of the vents aint opening as it should.good luck

Cause it doesnt just cool the air it conditions it. Leaving it on prevents bacterial in the system growing and keeps the system ok.

Yes, running the car air conditioning system regularly is good for the systems health. It's advisable that you switch on the air conditioning for a short period of time, irrespective of the outside weather. When you use it daily, it ensures that the rubber seals and gaskets in your system remain lubricated, thus preventing leaks.

Stav

Cause it doesnt just cool the air it conditions it. Leaving it on prevents bacterial in the system growing and keeps the system ok.
Yes, running the car air conditioning system regularly is good for the systems health. It's advisable that you switch on the air conditioning for a short period of time, irrespective of the outside weather. When you use it daily, it ensures that the rubber seals and gaskets in your system remain lubricated, thus preventing leaks.

Stav

It does this using power from the engine, and petrol. That is why many people will turn it off when they feel they do not need it!

How do you clean the AC system mate?

Mine is on all year round... but never cleaned it specifically.

i dont think the vents are bocked or anything because its the same amount of air comin out of them just one seems quite a bit colder than the other

ive just driven to and from leeds with it on both ways they both got cold but one side was freezing and the other not so much so, but anything is worth a shot its just 1 of those things that bugs me like all the little things seem to

i thought it may need regassing because it refrigerated air or whatever so it will have some sort of pressure system involved and if its blowing the coldest air out of the vents nearest it it might nee a rega to pressureize it so it forces equal amounts of conditioned cold air to all vents

thats just my wild stab at my own issue i stand to be shot down if im miles off the mark

How do you clean the AC system mate?

Mine is on all year round... but never cleaned it specifically.

I have mine on all year round 2 :)

Iv had it 6 month now so not sure about the owner b4 me so did the Air Con & Purifier 2 kill bacteria mould & fungi only takes 10mins n cost £5 :unsure:

Check the sightglass under the bonnet with the aircon running (And has been running for a little while) If there are lots of bubbles visible, then you could well need your ac recharging, if then there are only one or two every now and then or the sight glass is clear, then the charge is fine.

Blend flap may be passing a little hot air..

If your ac hasn't been looked at for a little while then it may benefit from a check over, don't forget to change your pollen filter.

Cleaning/ freshening your evaporator is a cinch in a Lex, you can either use one of those "Bombs" in your footwell with the heating set to recirculate, which is fine for milder odours, or spray a stronger cleaning agent such as Aircon Stericlean into the airstream once the pollen filter has been removed but block the slot with gaffer tape to make suer that the cleaner is blown directly on to the evaporator.. Try not to breathe it in or you'll be as high as a kite :winky:

Also worth while making sure that the condensate pipe is not blocked with gunge and can drain out under the car..

Check the sightglass under the bonnet with the aircon running (And has been running for a little while) If there are lots of bubbles visible, then you could well need your ac recharging, if then there are only one or two every now and then or the sight glass is clear, then the charge is fine.

Blend flap may be passing a little hot air..

If your ac hasn't been looked at for a little while then it may benefit from a check over, don't forget to change your pollen filter.

Cleaning/ freshening your evaporator is a cinch in a Lex, you can either use one of those "Bombs" in your footwell with the heating set to recirculate, which is fine for milder odours, or spray a stronger cleaning agent such as Aircon Stericlean into the airstream once the pollen filter has been removed but block the slot with gaffer tape to make suer that the cleaner is blown directly on to the evaporator.. Try not to breathe it in or you'll be as high as a kite :winky:

Also worth while making sure that the condensate pipe is not blocked with gunge and can drain out under the car..

thats for this info will have a good look over it tomorrow where will i find the evaporator is it in the under the glove box with the filter and also the condesate pipe if i know where im looking ill have a better idea and have a go with the cleaner if it dont need re-gassing

it just seems strange that its only one side of the car thats the problem!!

thanks again mucho appreciated

I reckon it is the blend door sticky or the small motor that controls it. If it is sticky, you may be able to free it by going from hot to cold for a little while.

So.. Turn temperature right down quickly. leave for a second or two. Temperature right up quickly, leave for a second or two and keep doing that.

If that doesn't work, the bad news it that I think it is in the enclosed HVAC box behind the dash but not sure.

I reckon it is the blend door sticky or the small motor that controls it. If it is sticky, you may be able to free it by going from hot to cold for a little while.

So.. Turn temperature right down quickly. leave for a second or two. Temperature right up quickly, leave for a second or two and keep doing that.

If that doesn't work, the bad news it that I think it is in the enclosed HVAC box behind the dash but not sure.

thanks for the news which knowing my luck is going to be bad lol

what sort of job is the HVAC is it a job for the dealer and gonna cost me lots of £'s

thanks geoff

I always thought that the refrigerant used in air conditioning systems also acted as a lubricant. If the system isn't used for a while, then the seals around the connecting pipes shrink slightly or dry out, causing the gas to escape. That it why I have always left my air conditioning on. Could be wrong though.

If it is in the HVAC (and I'm not 100% sure as I've not done anything with these, I'm assuming) then I'm afraid it is a dealer job yes. You can feel around behind the centre console in case there's anything you can manually lever. You aren't going to damage anything.

Sorry to be so vague, I've only read about them, not worked on them.

We know everything is fine from the fan into the cabin, so I can't think of what else it could be. Plus, it fits the scenario you are having as the fan is helical so it would stay pretty split if that is how the air was presented from the HVAC.

The air con system contains a refrigerant and a lubricant which is carried round the system by the refrigerant, so the ac compressor is lubricated rather like a two stroke engine... The lube used is a PAG (Polyakelynglycol) Excuse my spelling..

The issue of differing temps is a curious one as I would expect this issue to be more associated with vehicles with split temperature zones, but it is either low on refrigerant, so that th air coming from one side of the evaporator is colder than on the other, and the air does not mix greatly after that (Which I do not feel is likely) or as has been said could be the blend flap letting a little warm air pass

I have never needed to repair an IS200, so my knowledge here is limited, but would hope that the flap motors are accessible without ripping out the dash.... I would also anticipate that there would be a water valve to cut the flow of water through the heater matrix.... Try clamping off the heater hoses and see if this improves things..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links