Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Qualitat Is200!

bam-bam

Ok guys,was driving past the dealership today where 1 year ago I purchased my stock standard IS(champagne silver)when I see an eyecatcher.

I stop,get talking to the salesman whom i've bought 3 cars off before,and he tells me its a 2001 IS thats been tuned from the factory by TRD and Qualitat. Full body kit,big bore exhaust,chipped,red recaro interior,dark blue with gold 17 inch rims.

I take it for a drive,MUCH quicker that my IS,still 6cylinder BEAMS motor-upgraded suspension....

Lets just say i pick it up this Tuesday,

Pics to follow,now all I need to do is try and transplant all the I.C.E....

Yee HAA!!

If anyone has seen one of these or has any info please let me know?I'm keen on finding any details,as here in NZ this may be the only one....

regards to all.

I take it for a drive,MUCH quicker that my IS,still 6cylinder BEAMS motor-upgraded suspension....

Are you sure it's 6-cyl? the 1GFE isn't a BEAMS variant engine, but the Altezza 4-pot 3SGE is.

You can tell quite easily if it's an Altezza seeing if the glass is etched Toyota, for starters, and also if the instrument cluster has an oil pressure guage instead of a MPG one.

You can tell quite easily if it's an Altezza seeing if the glass is etched Toyota, for starters,

All of the early IS's in the UK had Toyota etched windows, mine did.

You learn something new every day! :lol:

Yep ,tis an Altezza,non badged tho-does have a 6 cyl Beams spec motor,am keen on finding what the differences between these and the standard 6 cyl are.....

Will do some more investigating tomorrow on the window etching etc,but have never seen one like this before,even on the owners club sites.

Have purchased today and take delivery on Tues(sat night here now),but will endeavour to get photos up to show as soon as,see what you think!

Thanks for replies guys,new to forum-hard to find info on even the most standard cars in New Zealand.

Yep ,tis an Altezza,non badged tho-does have a 6 cyl Beams spec motor,am keen on finding what the differences between these and the standard 6 cyl are.....

Will do some more investigating tomorrow on the window etching etc,but have never seen one like this before,even on the owners club sites.

Have purchased today and take delivery on Tues(sat night here now),but will endeavour to get photos up to show as soon as,see what you think!

Thanks for replies guys,new to forum-hard to find info on even the most standard cars in New Zealand.

Good luck. Take a pic of the engine if you can, and post it here. I'd hazard a guess it's the 4-pot, rather than a BEAMS variant 6-pot.

Caveat emptor and all that... ;) :excl::ph34r:

Nice one GRiM,

Thats the one!

tis definately a 6 cyl beams motor,wierd huh?photos to follow..... cant wait till tuesday-2 days and its in my driveway!

Like I say-new to the forum,will figure out how to put these engine shots up shortly.any easy way of attaching a photo to a post?

Cheers guys.

Righto then....to all the non believers!!

I have photos of the 6 cyl BEAMS motor and engine plate-if someone can help me with info on posting them to the site?

maybe it's a southern hemisphere thing...

You can attach images using teh 'IMG' button, or you can upload them to the Gallery linked from the front page, and then paste the link here using the 'http://' button

It's a 4 cylinder bam-bam - trust us - though I'd like to be proved wrong :) - A 6-cylnder BEAMS variant in an IS200 would rock... but it doesn't exist :(

Just so you know - the 1GFE in the IS200 is a 153bhp 6cyl inline job, the 3SGE in the Altezza is the BEAMS 4cyl hard-tuned normally aspirated job pumping out 210bhp. Definately a case of 'less is more' on this one :lol:

Once you take the pics, i'm sure you'll find there are only 4 injector inlets and 4 exhaust pipes = 4 cylinders ;)

Asam

Hey guys,

not meaning to offend anyone or throw a spanner in the works guys,and I know you're a lot more knowledgable in these cars but I'm tellin ya...

This car is a 6 Cyl Beams version!

Although I dont pick it up for another 48 hours I popped by the dealer today and asked him to remove the exhaust header heat shield....6 exhaust outlets were revealed.

The motor has the throttle body top center,covered by the airbox,which is clearly labeled"BEAMS 2000".

Hope I'm not gettin all excited over my lack of knowledge on the different IS models,but I have owned GTR skylines etc,and am not TOO illiterate on perfomance cars....

Will have these photos developed first thing tomorrow(11:25 sunday night at moment)and attempt to upload ASAP so I can validate.

I just assumed that these motors were a regular occurance,and not out of the ordinary worldwide.

Thanks for all your time and input guys, B)

the 1g-fe engine is a beam engine, the 3g-fe engine is also a beam engine, but the 3g-se have duel vvti but 1g-fe have only vvti

BEAM stand for

Breakthrough Engine with Mechanism System

in japan the AS200 altezza (1g-fe) instead of the LEXUS sign on top of the airfilter box, they have BEAM 2000 written on the airfilter box

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyot...ges/mecha05.jpg

Thank you Asinn-cleared my mind,I was hoping I was correct in stating that the 6 cyl Beams version is a regular spec.

I'm assuming that the car I've just bought has been played with in some way,being a TRD factory model....Feels so much different to drive than my standard IS.

Can't wait!

will keep ya posted.

Regards.

so whats the bhp of this engine then.......

i would imagine its slightly higher due to the octane frating of jap fuel, and so wont have so many emmision restrictions on it.

having dug deeper into this, it is a special, like the modelista cars and the TOMS cars.

the engine isnt tuned in anyway, the differences are cosmetic, interior, different styling kit, and the wheels, i belive it has the TRD blue anti roll bars

the confusion has come about, because the BEAMS name is a feature of the YAMAHA made cylinder head of the 3s-ge, the 1g-fe uses TOYOTA's VVT-i, cylinder head

so even though it is labelled as BEAMS, technically it is still wrong as its not the YAMAHA BEAMS system its using a normal TOYOTA VVT-i system

so whats the bhp of this engine then.......

i would imagine its slightly higher due to the octane frating of jap fuel, and so wont have so many emmision restrictions on it.

having dug deeper into this, it is a special, like the modelista cars and the TOMS cars.

the engine isnt tuned in anyway, the differences are cosmetic, interior, different styling kit, and the wheels

Exactly - it's just an RS200 with a new body kit - a special edition. It's not any different engine-wise than a normal 4-cyl BEAMs 3SGE. The picture says RS200, meaning it must be the 4-cylinder - the AS200 is the 6-cylinder variant with the 1GFE engine, which is the same as the UK spec, but you generally don't get AS200's in Japan as special editions - just the RS200, like my one when I got it...

hey there Kavey-here's hopin I'm in luck and have a "special"!

It's definately the same as the pictured on above,except a 6 cyl....

Tuesday morn can't come fast enough.

Good luck.. !

It's easy to think the RS200 must be a 6-cylinder, as it doesn't make sense that the 4-cylinder pushes more power and torque than the usual engine, but the fact remains, the RS200 engine is a race-heritage 4-cylinder Yamaha 3SGE, which is why.

It'd be nice to think there is a new 6-cylinder more powerful 2 litre variant, but we'll wait for the pics ;)

Asam

This is really confusing.

Have you have read my posts about the Altezza I went to see the other day?

Well anyway it was advertised as a:

Lexus Altezza IS200 Sport T with 210bhmp Beams engine, auto/tiptronic, glacier white etc...

Anyway when I saw it and lifted the hood I thought: ' that's a 6 cylinder engine'. But confusion: it said Beams 2000 on the plastic engine cover.

The car had an auto box, but no tiptronic on the wheel.

The other give away was the redline = 6000rpm

From a discussion with Kavey I decided that it must be a Jap AS200 (153bhp) 4 speed auto. However I'm still confused as the engine said Beams on it and it was very quick for an auto.

The plot thickens......

This is really confusing.

Have you have read my posts about the Altezza I went to see the other day?

Well anyway it was advertised as a:

Lexus Altezza IS200 Sport T with 210bhmp Beams engine, auto/tiptronic, glacier white etc...

Anyway when I saw it and lifted the hood I thought:  ' that's a 6 cylinder engine'.  But confusion: it said Beams 2000 on the plastic engine cover.

The car had an auto box, but no tiptronic on the wheel.

The other give away was the redline = 6000rpm

From a discussion with Kavey I decided that it must be a Jap AS200 (153bhp) 4 speed auto.  However I'm still confused as the engine said Beams on it and it was very quick for an auto.  

The plot thickens......

Which seems to be where part of the confusion is - the newer 6-pots have a Beams enging plate on them - but they aren't any more powerful as far as I'm aware.

But the point with the Qualitat special edition is that it's an RS200, as they only do this style of special edition with the RS200, ergo, 4-pot Dual-VVTi BEAMS 210bhp

:)

I'd actually be worried if you found a 6-pot in it Bambam - it'd mean they've replaced the higher power 4-pot with the 6-pot.... dodgy!

Chapter 2 begins!

I have just taken delivery of the TRD/Qualitat vehicle that is the topic of discussion-and am still impressed!have driven it from dealer to home via motorway,twisting hill roads and city streets,and am blown away by how quick this thing is for a N/A vehicle.

It is indeed a 6 cyl,but drives COMPLETELY different to my IS200 6 cyl (98)that I've today sold.

It appears to have three stages of power-mild,torque,then a free revving power band,with no sign of the redline being an issue as the power continues right through if you hold the gear rather than rushing through the 5 speed auto.

As I type this the photos being uploaded,links to follow(if I'm doin it right).

Seems like the only way i'm going to get to grips with what may have been done to this thing(if different from UK spec)is to have it dyno'd!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links