Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Ls400 Beans Engine

steve2006

A few days ago I was browsing the forums when I came across the Altezza model fitted with the BEAMS engine.

Not wishing to be outdone in my imported LS400 Celsior I have developed a similar modification.

After extensive design headaches,calculations and a complete remap of the engine ECU I have now performed the required work to produce the "BEANS" engine.

The performance although improved does not match that of the "Powerband" I fitted recently but low down torque has been boosted.

Fitting the BEANS mod to the intake manifold/plenum chamber was fairly straightforward using bluetack or a similar adhesive.

Problems arose when I realised that the bonnet ( hood for US LOC readers) would not close with the BEANS mod fitted.

This was overcome by cutting a hole in the bonnet ( hood) slightly bigger than the BEANS modification using a plasma cutter ( if you don't have access to a plasma cutter you can use a can opener but don't allow this to come into contact with the BEANS mod or the fuel trim will be wrong) then applying some silicon sealant to prevent water ingress.

That's it really apart from painting the BEANS mod to match the bonnet ( this is known as a colour coded BEANS mod)

Finally if you do perform this mod,which I'm sure will be very popular and the best selling Christmas present for 2009 please remember to inform your insurance company.

post-12144-1232310355.jpg

post-12144-1232310420.jpg

That's just awesome mate :D

I think we should have a BEANS meet at some point, you could have started a trend here :)

Where the MKIV boys have Hovis LOC could have BEANS :lol:

Gotta get one of those conversions.......does the Branston developed version produce more emissions than the Heinz version?

:lol:

During testing Branston BEANS ( patent applied for) outperformed all other makes but no doubt inferior counterfeit systems will be coming onto the market.

Just remember as in the human body this mod produces a certain gas in huge quantities which the catalytic convertor cannot remove so do not stand behind the car when the engine is running.

This mod will not affect your MOT emissions but may affect the tester

Watching the driver behind you in the rear view mirror is however amusing!

Hi Steve, great innovative work there. Well done. I notice that you have used one of Virgin Richards products which, of course, involved you cutting a hole in the hood (trunk, bonnet, whatever, the flat piece on top of the engine bay).

I have recently installed the 'Beans' mod to my LS 430 but very shrewdly purchased the relevant component from an American importer, Cross & Blackwell. These units from CB are only half the size of Richards, so obviously , no cutting involved. Very pleased with the quality of CB's products and my next project is to install one of their well known radios.

Keep up the good work, Graham.

Hi Steve, great innovative work there. Well done. I notice that you have used one of Virgin Richards products which, of course, involved you cutting a hole in the hood (trunk, bonnet, whatever, the flat piece on top of the engine bay).

I have recently installed the 'Beans' mod to my LS 430 but very shrewdly purchased the relevant component from an American importer, Cross & Blackwell. These units from CB are only half the size of Richards, so obviously , no cutting involved. Very pleased with the quality of CB's products and my next project is to install one of their well known radios.

Keep up the good work, Graham.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

I did try the Cross and Blackwell BEANS mod whilst designing the system but found that the smaller compact size resulted in the engine only firing on 4 cylinders.

OK Steve, but correct me if i'm wrong, does it not mean firing on only half the number of cylinders will result in only half the petrol being used?

Noting from our profiles, these sort of mods must be an age thingy. I hope you realise that we will now be ostricised and ridiculed by the IS crowd.

Steve

I have just been checking the fridge in the rear of my LS430, re your other post about gas struts (by the way it has four and a remote controlled door opener with built in drinks dispenser) and it appears my car has been modified without my knowledge.... this can (pun) only have happened when it was at Lexus, so I have the first officially approved performance modification, I think the theory is similar to yours but of course the main dealer had to come up with a superior and more acceptable, in certain circles, name for the conversion

I present to you...... drum roll please......

20012009118.jpg

As my car is now sold (sob sob) this modification is now for sale and will fit any model Lexus.... if you want it don't tell the IS boys cause this goes great with their BEERS mod, and after they have had a few of their mods they will outbid anyone for this.....

Just a small update , i have booked the car in for a "Beans" upgrade :D , i hope to "Go like the wind" down santa pod .

Hi,

Could I ask who is doing the work for you as this product is licensed to me and you may be buying an inferior copy product which will not give the results in improved performance you hope to gain.

This mod will certainly make you "Go like the wind" ( BTW this phrase is a registered trademark of BEANS mods Inc) but as I said in the 1st post make sure you are Upwind when the engine is running.

If you are using a parachute at Santa Pod to assist stopping buy a brown one to start with.

Just a small update , i have booked the car in for a "Beans" upgrade :D , i hope to "Go like the wind" down santa pod .

Hi,

Could I ask who is doing the work for you as this product is licensed to me and you may be buying an inferior copy product which will not give the results in improved performance you hope to gain.

This mod will certainly make you "Go like the wind" ( BTW this phrase is a registered trademark of BEANS mods Inc) but as I said in the 1st post make sure you are Upwind when the engine is running.

If you are using a parachute at Santa Pod to assist stopping buy a brown one to start with.

Hi , its an American version from way out west , the man said "its in the can" and will "blow you away" and once i start if im not careful could end up messey :blink: