Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took six hours for my man to fit a new cam belt, the idlers/tensioners and water pump.

He said it was a straight forward job just a lot of stuff had to come off including the rad.

Charged me £140 with Labour and for the special Toyota red coolant, so £335 all in with parts.

The old cam belt looked like it could have easily done another 100k as did the water pump.

No wonder a cam belt snap on a Lexus LS is unheard of, you could hoist the engine out with that belt !

He said one of the hardest things was actually re-filling the cooling system and with the ten minute idle run and 5 minutes at 2000 rpm then cool down it took nearly an hour

Oh well peace of mind now for another 63k or six years.

Hi

Super job and a great price. It is sometimes frustrating to change what appear to be perfectly good parts but the piece of mind is worth it, thats the last big job, for a long while, out the way, now you can get on and enjoy the car.

I suppose you could look at it as an indication that the car has been driven well by the previous owner.

Maybe you could sell the cam belt and water pump on eBay!!!!! One careful owner... slightly used... etc etc

Pete

Hi

Super job and a great price. It is sometimes frustrating to change what appear to be perfectly good parts but the piece of mind is worth it, thats the last big job, for a long while, out the way, now you can get on and enjoy the car.

I suppose you could look at it as an indication that the car has been driven well by the previous owner.

Maybe you could sell the cam belt and water pump on ebay!!!!! One careful owner... slightly used... etc etc

Pete

Funnily enough looking at the old water pump it did cross my mind :winky:

Even Simon said the said thing, but its gone in the bin now.

Hi

Maybe you could sell the cam belt and water pump on ebay!!!!! One careful owner... slightly used... etc etc

Pete

Funnily enough looking at the old water pump it did cross my mind :winky:

Even Simon said the said thing, but its gone in the bin now.

Which bin have you put it in!!!!!! :whistling: I'll put it in the Buy It Now section on eBay! Anyone got some Brasso!

On a more serious note ( not like me is it!)

It's nice to have that peace of mind.

Mine is an import with no service history ( not that I haven't tried to get it, even writing to the original owner in Japan with no response as not many learn English and then wrote to the Japanese Embassy again no response) but it had a certified mileage of 62,000 kilometers.

I had the cambelt done at the equivalent of 100,000 KMs but the car by then was 14 years old so well overdue time wise but the belt was still perfect with no cracking.

BTW CB1300 with the weather down in Devon at the moment at least you have got the car home safe.

Don't be fooled by how nice and clean the existing belt looks. The belt and water pump are not exposed to the elements and effects of weather so are likely to look pretty. Its the strain the teeth and layers of the belt take which is not visible to the eye.

£335 is a great deal. Is that all genuine lexus parts ?