Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reconning A Caliper

ormi

1)jack the car up and remove the front wheel

2)remove the two 14mm bolts that hold the caliper on and pull the caliper off

3)this part req two people.one person goes in the car and pumps the brake pedal till the pistons come out NOT all the way out though

4)clamp the flexi this will stop you loosing all your brake fluid.take a pair of pipe pliers and pull the two pistons out.

5)check the pistons for corrosion if their is remove with wire wool or very fine sandpaper.

6)now remove the two piston dust covers from the caliper and you will then see the two rubber O rings in the caliper remove these.

7)now check inside the caliper for corrosion if so remove this the same way as you cleaned up the pistons.

8)fit your new O rings and coat in high temp grease then fit your new dust covers

9)smeer your nice and clean pistons in high temp grease and carefully insert your pistons into your caliper

10)bolt your caliper on using the two 14mm bolts you removed in step two

11)remove the clamp from the flexi and slacken the bleed nipple and put on your bleed bottle.

12)this part req two people.get the person to pump the brake pedal approx 8-10 times and on the LAST press HOLD the pedal DOWN you then tighten the bleed nipple up.

13)put the wheel back on and have a cup of tea/coffee stand back and think i've just saved over £150 doing this my self!!!!

hope that helps some peeps out?

remember make sure everythings tight!

if the pedal feels like its sinking you need to rebleed!

any pics bud.now can you do one with pics for a clutch please, :D

sorry matey i've not got pics just wrote this coz someone was askin how to do it. but when i'm in work tomorrow i'll see if we have got a old caliper kickin about and i'll strip it and take pics.

there is/was a pic guide on here, I am sure of it, just cannot find it.

Thanks Ormi for the info though.

BTW - I didn't think you were supposed to use grease for the seals etc - but clean brake fluid only?

BTW - I didn't think you were supposed to use grease for the seals etc - but clean brake fluid only?

You are meant to grease them using lithium soap base glycol grease.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links