Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Uk Dvd And Phone Hack Instructions Is220d Manual

Hello everyone.

I have just enabled my phone and dvd on my IS220d Manual 2006 2nd gen ML.

I thought I'd try & post some clear(ish) instructions.

1st of all remove the top vents. This is done by lowering the 4 clips inside the top of the vents (2 in each vent)

they move down and then click into the down position. You do not need to hold them down if done properly. Gently ease the vent out. It is stiff but should pull out with hands. Lay this onto the top of the dash.

post-29885-1247487087.jpg

2. Open the armrest and pull up the trim holding seat heater controls. It will come up without forcing it.

post-29885-1247487133.jpg

3. Ease the leather gater out of it's hole.

post-29885-1247487155.jpg

4. The silver sides and the black plastic gear knob surrond are connected together. Pull this up and back then slide over gear knob.

post-29885-1247487177.jpg

5. Remove the 2 ashtray retaining screws and slide it back and out.

post-29885-1247487205.jpg

post-29885-1247487225.jpg

6. Undo the 4 x 10mm bolts holding in the sat nav (2 at top and 2 at bottom). Pull this out and rest it on a towel so it doesn't mark trim.

post-29885-1247487247.jpgpost-29885-1247487264.jpg

7. See picture for plug names. The J50 is closest to passenger side at the top of unit. The P1 is the next plug along towards driver. (righthand drive) The other plug I have called 'to the sat nav' as i don't know it's name. It is the lowest plug closest to passenger.

post-29885-1247487275.jpg

To watch DVD whilst driving you must cut the red wire from the J50 and earth it (the side from the J50).Cap off the loom side. see pic.

post-29885-1247487342.jpg

Cut the pink wire on the J50 and the white/silver wire on the P1. Join the Loom side pink to the white/silver which goes to the 'to sat nav' plug. Cap the pink from the J50 and the white/silver from the P1

post-29885-1247487299.jpg

post-29885-1247487314.jpg

post-29885-1247487329.jpg

I Knicked one of these pics off of messy1 so thanks!!!! Rest are mine.

Calm down now you've done. Assemble car and test. BE AWARE THERE IS A WHITE SILVER WIRE WITH A BLACK STIPE ON THIS IS NOT THE WHITE/SILVER. MOST PEOPLE SAY THEY HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE VENTS SO DON'T REPLACE THEM UNTIL YOU ARE SURE IT WORKS.

this might help aswell. http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/import/pdf/IS_SIRI.pdf

Hi, dirtydogg

When i did the hack on my unit i also added a switch between the pink and white/silver wire as you can use the switch when you what a passenger to input satnav destination on the move.

pro's are you can input a destination on the move.

con's is the satnav becomes jumpy & looses its bearings when switch is at off position.

So i turn off the switch when i want someone to enter a destination on the move & switch on again when done, when i turn the switch back on the satnav finds its bearings almost instantly.

The switch also lets you use other options for the unit that are normally greyed out while moving.

I did the hack on my unit two years ago and have had no problems or side affects. :yahoo:

Regards

Rav.

Thanks for the info and pictures, they are very useful.

Just wanted to ask, if I wanted to implement the hack only to enable DVD, Bluetooth dialing and MP3 folder browsing, what do I exactly need to do? I don't want to install a switch for the sat nav so I am fine with the sat nav not being enabled.

Just wanted to ask, if I wanted to implement the hack only to enable DVD, Bluetooth dialing and MP3 folder browsing, what do I exactly need to do? I don't want to install a switch for the sat nav so I am fine with the sat nav not being enabled.

You need to get ready to spend a long time in a small room with a toilet in the corner and a big bloke who is far too friendly if you have a serious accident which can be put down to using these facilities. Crash forensics would soon spot them, and imagine the view a court is going to take of deliberately disabling safety features which are manufacturers original equipment and are part of the conditions under which the car enters the UK for sale. :angry:

To enable dvd/phone just ground the red from the J50 & join the pink to the white silver. No switch needed. Obviously you will have to stop to enter sat nav address unless you get the latest update from lexus which it is said allows destination entry whilst on the move.

You need to get ready to spend a long time in a small room with a toilet in the corner and a big bloke who is far too friendly if you have a serious accident which can be put down to using these facilities. Crash forensics would soon spot them, and imagine the view a court is going to take of deliberately disabling safety features which are manufacturers original equipment and are part of the conditions under which the car enters the UK for sale. :angry:

Good point, everybody thinking of doing this hack should consider what they would do if they dropped the soap.

Hi, giorgoXXI

Just do exactly as dirtydogg has shown on his pictorial for the DVD, Bluetooth dialing and MP3 folder browsing hack.

P.s I am coming over to london on the weekend so if you live near sevenkings essex you can see the hack working on mine and i could do the hack on your unit.

Email me if you would like to meet up.

Regards.

Rav.

Thanks for the warning, but I do believe some of the "safety features" are a bit too much on the Lexus. You can for example browse through your MP3s and phonebook on a BMW system, but on the Lex it is disabled... and it is not like the BMWs don't pass the safety conditions for sale in the UK.

The only feature that I believe is dangerous is the DVD playback, but I only want to enable this to use my DVD audios, not to watch anything.

To enable dvd/phone just ground the red from the J50 & join the pink to the white silver. No switch needed. Obviously you will have to stop to enter sat nav address unless you get the latest update from lexus which it is said allows destination entry whilst on the move.

So, from what I understand, if the pink and white silver cables are cut but not connected to each other, then you can enter destinations on the move, but your sat nav will be jumpy because it does not have the speed sensor input. And soon as you connect them, sat nav entry on the move becomes disabled, but you can still access the phone, MP3s etc. Is this correct?

Hi, giorgoXXI

Just do exactly as dirtydogg has shown on his pictorial for the DVD, Bluetooth dialing and MP3 folder browsing hack.

P.s I am coming over to london on the weekend so if you live near sevenkings essex you can see the hack working on mine and i could do the hack on your unit.

Email me if you would like to meet up.

Regards.

Rav.

Thanks for the offer, I actually live on the other side of London, and I am still deliberating whether to implement this hack or not... but if I ever need help I will give a shout. Cheers.

I have to admit I don't fully understand why on the newer cars they've enabled using the satnav while in motion but not the phone or music features.......should really be the other way round imho.

You don't need to do the second switched hack for the satnav in motion, just get the latest nav DVD and it's included :winky:

I have to admit I don't fully understand why on the newer cars they've enabled using the satnav while in motion but not the phone or music features.......should really be the other way round imho.

You don't need to do the second switched hack for the satnav in motion, just get the latest nav DVD and it's included :winky:

Hi, Yes you could pay £120 for latest dvd or £2 for a switch.

Rav. :D

Hi, Yes you could pay £120 for latest dvd or £2 for a switch.

Rav. :D

That's a fair point, but just for those that weren't aware and might not be comfortable with taking their dash apart :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 months later all still working ok!

Just got myself a nice shiny 450h today - just wondering if this hack will work similar wonders on that? I assume the head unit is much the same across the models...?

*edit* never mind - the merkins have a good guide here for GS's : http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-third-g...ods-thread.html :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys. I'm replying a year later to the thread but I got a small problem :unsure:

I followed the instructions (the vents were a pain in the a** - I had to stick something to hold the clips down eventually) and I located the red wire from the J50. I cut it and earthed it on the screw on the side (exactly like the pic - no other option actually since the wire is short).

Now, not only I can't see a picture while the parking brake is off, the picture button is greyed out when the parking brake is on as well :blink::blink:

When the instructions say "cap off the loom side", what does this mean exactly? Since English is my second language I may not have understood exactly what it means. I just insulated the red wire coming out of the J50.

Any help is appreciated.

Anthos

Best guess is you have earthed the wrong side of the red wire, the side that goes into the sat nav needs to be earthed, the red wire that goes to the car can be left un-connected, hust make sure it is insulated so it does not short out onto anything.

I also found you can get away without touching the silver/white wire, just disconnecting the pink SPD signal wire is enough to enable the featues whilst driving.

I also added a switch on my dash!

Ben

:blink::blush: :blush: all this trouble to earth the wrong side of the wire :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Consequences up to now include parking brake warning whilst driving, a warning on the "info" menu that a program is not functioning and half of the menu is gone, and there was no sound from the parking sensors in reverse :huh:

Hope all this is sorted out when I earth the right side.

Now I have the problem that the wire on the J50 is too short. I have 2 options:

1. I will try and strip the wire coming out of the harness and connect it with the rest making it longer.

2. Is there a way of "un-clipping" the short red wire from the harness and insert a new one? Can a car electrician do this in the worst case scenario where I cannot unclip it myself or manage to strip the wire (option 1)?

Thanks for the help beneee. It's a relief knowing a "veteran" can help out ;)

-----------------------UPDATE-----------------------

The wire was indeed too short. I managed to strip as much as I could see and I took a connector like piece of metal out of another harness and pushed it in. When I saw that the red wire was inside the connector I soldered it. It was a LONG shot but it worked :blink: Never believed it would. Now I can watch the DVD menu even with the parking brake off.

PROBLEM - As I said above some of the "info" menu items are gone :blush: I can see the "telephone", "screen setting", "display" and when I switch on the engine the "park assist" appears (and the rear parking sensors do work now). I'm missing "maintenace", "Calendar" etc.

Also instead of getting the "insert dvd" I get a "a program cannot be read. Contact your sealer".

Any clues guys?? Do I need to reset something?

Any help is appreciated.

Anthos

Ok, forget the "UPDATE" part on the previous post. The earthing has not worked as I thought last night (it worked when I released the parking brake whilst the car was in the garage but it does not work when the car is moving).

I will take the car to a car electrician to insert a new wire. I just hope the menu items re-appear :blush:

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone my sat nav screen broke so I have a new one coming this week does anyone fancy running through the process of hacking it so I can watch DVD wen driving as don't fully understand all the info above

My number is 07967030106

Call or text ASAP and I'll call back

Thanks

Anthony

Does this frighten anyone else? As a motorcyclist it terrifies me.

There's already far too many distractions and far too little talent out there as it is! Rather than watching films whilst you drive, why not occupy yourself with some advanced training - you might find that once you learn how to drive to a decent standard that you don't need a DVD to occupy you...

Hi everyone my sat nav screen broke so I have a new one coming this week does anyone fancy running through the process of hacking it so I can watch DVD wen driving as don't fully understand all the info above

My number is 07967030106

Call or text ASAP and I'll call back

Thanks

Anthony

Obviously you really mean so that passengers can watch DVD's. It is unfortunately extremely illegal to have a car-installation where it is possible for the driver to be able to view DVD's playing whilst the car is moving, and is rightly considered much more serious than using a hand-held mobile. There have been prosecutions for this, and in the event of a fatal accident attributed to it; the charge could be manslaughter.

You must have auxillary screen(s) invisible to the driver, with the DVD display on the front, central screen disabled while the car is moving.