Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Still Running Poorly....

Monsterped

Evening all

as some of you may have read, I've had on going issues with my 57 plate IS220d that Lexus appear to be struggling to sort.

To date it's had

2 sets of injectors

New Injector Pipework

New Common Rail

New Bleed Down Valve

Modified 5th Injector

New EGR Valve

Multiple ECU remaps

New Catalytic Converter

New fuel pump

A couple of door speakers have also gone pop but that doesn't affect the running!!

After his little lot, fitted over 52k miles, the bloody thing is still stumbling when pulling away, it has this nasty habit of losing power when pulling out of junctions etc - last time it was in at Lexus the tech had it happen to him. The problem is intermittent, it'll run fine, lull me into a false sense of security, then try and kill me by albut dying when pulling out into traffic (a few near misses that could have been very nasty).

The car initially returned something like 42-44mpg on an average tank of fuel - measured by miles covered vs fuel used as the dash read out is waaay optimistic. Somewhere around 35-40,000 miles this dropped to around 37mpg and after the fuel pump change it's now returning 36-37mpg at best (driving reasonably carefully as the local plod are having a crack down...).

What the hell else can they do to sort this? I'm getting really fed up with this and as it's a company car I'm stuck with it for about another 50k miles...

Have you tried the approach of the safety issue, as confirmed by the mechanic? I had similar problem on a F**d yearss ago and as soon as I mentioned the safety issue they took it off the road until it was fixed.

haven't some of the diesels had a new ECU?

• 5 weeks later...

And just to add more to the pile, first gear is noisy as you like when crawling in traffic....

Still, I have a brand spanking IS220d 2009 SE sitting on my drive for a week - be interesting to see what it's like compared to mine

Well, after a full strip down Lexus found the engine to be very heavily coked, with carbon deposits heavy enough to stick the rings in the pistons. They've also found that one cylinder bore is badly scored and a few other things are not right.

The upshot is that they fitted a brand new short block (everything from cylinder head down) and are reporting that performance is now good and fuel economy is also vastly improved. Not a cheap warranty fix for Lexus, something like £3000+ this week and they've not done the gearbox yet, that's being done next week. Basically they've brought the engine up as close as they can to the 09 spec cars

The 09 220d I have is a much improved car over the early models. the engine is much improved as is the gearbox. Having recently advised a friend to be very cautious about buying a 220d, if the demo I have is anything to go by, then it's not a bad choice. Fuel economy is not spectacular but much better than I've seen before. I'd almost be tempted to have another....

• 2 weeks later...

Well the car is back and my first impressions are very positive. The car runs very well now although only done about 50 miles

What is very noticeable is how much quieter the engine is and it's certainly much smoother than before. I guess it should be better, the warrantly costs for the engine work was over £4500... and a further £500+ for the gearbox to be sorted. Overall the car now feels like it should and I'm hopeful that this is the end of the problems.

Having said that, after some discussions with Lexus GB, they've agreed to extend the warranty (I'll have done 60K miles in about three weeks time) for a further 12 months!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Monsterped. What sort of miles you are now getting. Mine has just come back from Swindon Lexus had exactly the same trouble as you. It registered 42mpg when it came back, got worried as when we drove it yesterday it dropped to about 35 now managed to get it back up to 39mpg.

How did you get the extended warranty as mine is up in November, these problems been ongoing since we bought the car in May.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Monsterped. What sort of miles you are now getting. Mine has just come back from Swindon Lexus had exactly the same trouble as you. It registered 42mpg when it came back, got worried as when we drove it yesterday it dropped to about 35 now managed to get it back up to 39mpg.

How did you get the extended warranty as mine is up in November, these problems been ongoing since we bought the car in May.

Swindon Lexus also did mine! Good dealership I think

MPG is averaging around 42-44 by calculation (miles & fuel used when refilling etc) but has been as high as 50ish. Better to calculate it as I found the reading in the car not very accurate

As for the extended warranty, I took the issue up with Lexus UK as the car had very nearly caused several accidents and every time a fix was tried, something else subsequently need changing. I had to speak to the warranty manager (the initial point of contact was unhelpful IMO, reading from a script and not listening) who after hearing my issues, gave the extended warranty. This might also be something to do with the £8,800 warranty bill to date and the threat to not accept the car back until the problem was sorted or a full refund was given - my company backed me on this as they felt car was not fit for purpose and would reject it under duty of care etc

I've now done over 4k miles since the motor was changed and the car has performed excellently, no hesitation, good throttle response, decent mpg figures and a much more relaxing drive. Very pleased!

Ped

• 3 weeks later...

Hold the press....

The miserable piece of automotive sh*te has gone wrong again..... Spent the day in London at the office, got caught in the usual M25 traffic and the car developed a miss-fire at around 1800 rpm when accelarating and won't tick over properly now..... This is 300 miles after a service and 5000 miles after a new engine. Not happy

If you listen carefully you be able to hear me loading both barrels....

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

Well 2 months of Scirocco ownership has been great, it's genuinely the first car I've owned that I have no complaints about. The 2ltr Diesel is superb - over 6500 miles it's averaged 48.4 miles per gallon and that's driving it quite briskly most of the time. Build quality is much better than the IS, no rattles or squeals and ride quality and handling are great.

Moral of the story? If you want an IS, buy the petrol (a good car and what it should be), if you want a decent diesel, buy german....

• 1 month later...