Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slight Door Rattle On Two-Month Old Is

My IS, which I took delivery of on January 25, has already developed a very slight rattle in the driver's side front door. It's not loud, most of the time I don't even notice it, but I am still annoyed since I believed this car would be free from such matters.

I now have three questions for all you other IS owners out there:

1. Have you experienced this, or something similar?

2. Did you approach your dealer about it?

3. Was the dealer successful in resolving the issue?

Many thanks for your advice on this.

As a side note, since Thursday my car (white pearl) has some gray spots on it. I have not seen this before. Could it be volcanic ash? The car is not super clean. It's been a couple of weeks since I washed it, but most of the dirt is on the sides and rear, having sprayed from the tires and road. These new spots are all over the hood, roof and boot lid, so it seems to have come from above. Anyone else seen this?

You may find that there is a bit of play between the door catch and the u shaped post it catches on. Try wrapping some insulation tape around the post, to make it very slightly thicker (and softer). Two layers of tape all round should do it. If that works, the proper solution would I suppose be a slght adjustment to the catch itself. If it doesn't work, it will have cost next to nothing to try.

You may find that there is a bit of play between the door catch and the u shaped post it catches on. Try wrapping some insulation tape around the post, to make it very slightly thicker (and softer). Two layers of tape all round should do it. If that works, the proper solution would I suppose be a slght adjustment to the catch itself. If it doesn't work, it will have cost next to nothing to try.

What he said :lol: The insulation tape fixed mine. I initially thought it was a rattle from the seat belt mounting in the door pillar, but it was the door catch. Don't forget to do both sides.Incidentally, I had previously adjusted the door catch slightly to fix a slight wind noise, and although it fixed that it didn't stop the rattle.

My IS, which I took delivery of on January 25, has already developed a very slight rattle in the driver's side front door. It's not loud, most of the time I don't even notice it, but I am still annoyed since I believed this car would be free from such matters.

As a side note, since Thursday my car (white pearl) has some gray spots on it. I have not seen this before. Could it be volcanic ash? The car is not super clean. It's been a couple of weeks since I washed it, but most of the dirt is on the sides and rear, having sprayed from the tires and road. These new spots are all over the hood, roof and boot lid, so it seems to have come from above. Anyone else seen this?

Get used to the rattles. Mine is coming up to 3 years old and the dash, front doors and various other bits of interior rattle.

Lexus have tried a few times to fix them and been successful. but they always return. They will do it all again next week

before the warranty runs out but I expect them to return.

Well, maybe, but I was fairly successful at getting rid of the rattles that initially plagued my used approved IS250 SEL. The pity is that after a few months of nice rattle free motoring it got written off when hit by debris from a crash between two other cars. So far its replacement has been well nigh silent. fingers crossed!

• 4 weeks later...

Another possible cause of rattles (or perhaps they are better described as knocks heard in your right ear as the car crosses broken or uneven surfaces) may be the sliding seat belt mounting behind the driver's door. Try lowering this as far as it will go if you have previously had it raised. I wondered why I was starting to hear irritating noises in a car that had been beautifully quiet when I bought it. I tried my old trick of putting tape over the door binding post, but on this car it made no difference. So I asked myself what if anything I might have done to spoil things. Only possible answer was that I had adjusted the seat belt mounting on my side. I tried inserting a piece of card to ensure that the trim around the mounting did not rattle but evidently it was not that, so I then lowered the mounting down to where it was originally. Problem now seems to be solved, and the seat belt still crosses my shoulder in the right place.

Have not had any problem from the passenger side, but if you have experienced anything like that it may be worth doing the same thing on that side too

This is appalling. A car, a Lexus car, which is a few months old requiring a fix by using some sticky tape! Would never happen to a Merc or BMW!

This is appalling. A car, a Lexus car, which is a few months old requiring a fix by using some sticky tape! Would never happen to a Merc or BMW!

Im sure there are alot worse problems on a Merc of BMW

I bought a 4-yr old IS about 2 months ago, had severe rattle which was fixed a week after I took delivery.

Mainly from the left and right front door, dash squeek, and sunroof.

The roof had been replaced with a new one about 2-yrs ago, and probably will be there for the life of the car.

Dash was taken apart, there was a TSB in the states on the 05-06 model.

To date it's partially resolve, and will probably get this re-look at again next month for the schedule service.

Apparently this is pretty normal with toyota / lexus.

Sam

• 5 years later...