Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Picked My Is220 Se Mm Up And......

the first thing i want to do is clean the egr valve (the tank trip is showing average mpg of 27.9!!!!!! wtf) i have had a look in the bay but cannot see how the heck i am going to get to the rear 2 bolts near the Battery to get it off the fronts shouldnt be too hard just the sponge bit to work around. Any advice on this would be appreciated

its going into lexus on fri to have the power steering and rear caliper recall done

having asked about the ecu remap and 5th injector they basically told me there wasnt a recall are the talkin s**t to me?

the car is a 2006 is220D se + MM and i have 3 years warranty with the garage(independant) how good it will be i dont know

is there any other things i should be asking them to check do whilst im there (without having to pay :-))

cheers peeps

Well Reeves, I just did this the other day. Here are some tips that should help you.

For the awkward bolts hampered by the Battery, just loosen the lower one and fully remove the top one. You can still get the EGR valve out in this way. I use a ratchet with a universal attachment and a deep socket (they are all 12mm btw). It is easier then to reassemble the pipe to the engine block. If you take both out it is tricky to get them back in through both the flange and the gasket.

Look after the gaskets.

Take it handy when you are pulling up the square gasket under the EGR valve. It can be damaged if you don't slide it gently past the sponge.

Don't worry about the sponge. Be rough. It is durable.

As has been said here, use a carbon cleaner, works a dream.

Apart from that, enjoy the increased fuel efficiency...you hope!

i certainly do hope as i think what the tank average mpg is showing is ludacris for any diesel

i know its well documented that the 220 is a lot heavier but still i would have thought 40mpg should be about average and would be happy with 40 as coming from a is200 which was giving me about 22mpg should still give me a saving not to mention the road tax will be cheaper which is also a help

ill have another go this morning with the egr bolts near the Battery when i tried a actually couldnt get the ratchet inbetween the pipe and underneath

i certainly do hope as i think what the tank average mpg is showing is ludacris for any diesel

i know its well documented that the 220 is a lot heavier but still i would have thought 40mpg should be about average and would be happy with 40 as coming from a is200 which was giving me about 22mpg should still give me a saving not to mention the road tax will be cheaper which is also a help

ill have another go this morning with the egr bolts near the battery when i tried a actually couldnt get the ratchet inbetween the pipe and underneath

The mpg will get much better as you get used to the very different way it needs to be driven, particularly as your driving style only gave you 22 mpg with your IS200 (unless it was all hectic stop-start in town). Also the tank average mpg etc is only an indication and isn't particularly accurate - you need to work true mpg out from the distance driven against the amount needed to re-brim the tank. You can then relate the tank average and use it to see how actual mpg changes with what you do.

yes thats the next thing i will be doing

the car is going in tomarrow for the recalls and they said they will look at the mpg and as im still struggling withe the rear bolts on the egr am going to ask the to give it a clean

im not in a hetic area and would probs get 75 miles for £15 @ £1.14 a litre (petrol in my is200) (thats a decent 12o mile trip Mixed mway and A&B roads) and obviosly thats what im comparing the 220 to

the trip was saying i had 58 miles remaining and i put £15 diesel in at £114 litre and the trip now shows 151 miles remaining

i no this isnt very accurate it does just seem a little strange

so basically give or take its giving me 100 miles for £15 give or take

a quick calc reveals that IF the trip is correct saying i will get 100 miles for my £15 thats a average mpg of around 36mpg

hmm if i can up this into the 40+ bracket i will be a happy bunny

ill have another go this morning with the egr bolts near the battery when i tried a actually couldnt get the ratchet inbetween the pipe and underneath

Remove the 2 bolts and the wire harness clamp bracket see attached file and push the harness with wires out the way to give you a bit of room

Then use a deep 12mm socket with a small extention and ratchet was just right distance away from Battery and you have got about a 1/4 of a turn before the ratchet touches the pipe which is enough to crack them off then turn the bolts out until finger loose there about 1" and half bolts. The gasket has bent over tabs onto the pipe ,i found you could hold on to tab to save droping the gasket then with the aid of a friend to push the sponge back remove the the egr gasket then you can remove the pipe like monacle says the sponge is durable and you can be rough with it . Once the pipe and gaskets removed crack to 2 nuts make sure you have disconected the 2 muiltiplugs then lift the valve off the studs complete with solenoid iused wynns carb and injector cleaner priced around £5 a tin from halfrauds.A tip hold it at arms lenght when spraying cleaner into egr valve or it kinda recirculates round and hits u in the face unless thats just me :lol:. Give it a scrape with a small flat screwdriver ,on the manifold side and use a hover to catch the loose debris,I gave it a little blast round ends of pipe to but that was resonably clean .Be prepared for a shock i was by the amount of build up and reduction i had . I have found an increase of about 5mpg to 7 mpg averaging about 37mpg to my normal 30 around town and 48mpg to my normal 42 on the motorway. youhave to drive the car very light to get anything decent mpg wise or it does cane the mpg I have also had the mpg around 27 when driving it hard ... and if the aircons on knock another 2 mpg off...

post-34670-127984033398.png

thanks for the diag seems to be that may be where iv been going wrong!!!

its off to the dealers in the morning and they said they will look at the mpg issue and i will be asking them to clean the egr valve and check the 5th injector but i will also try it myself when i get bk home to 1. see if its been done and 2. so i can do it myself in future

im still struggling to see how a diesel car can strugle to get a decent mpg even if its heavy or not!!

although i did do a 125 mile round trip tonight on mainly A&B roas with maybe 30 miles motorway and it cost around £17 at £1.14 a litre (from shell) where as it would cost me £27 ish to do the same trip in my recently repaced is200 which works out about 38mpg (although the trip showed avg of 34.8 go figure) so its not too bad but i would like to achieve 40+

A tip hold it at arms lenght when spraying cleaner into egr valve or it kinda recirculates round and hits u in the face unless thats just me .

Burto, that is great advice!!! I got that stuff all over my face, into my eyes as well. Fairly stingy on the eyes! Needless to say, I threw on a pair of glasses after that!

Reeves, you are talking about checking the fifth injector. This is one thing I would like to check myself but I would really know what to look for. I presume you just check if it is dirty??? I you do successfully check it, post up the procedure and share the knowledge!

i was talking about the egr valve not the fith injector

iv just taken the car to the dealer reset trip averaged 34.5 on the way there the dealer gave me a is220F sport and the same journey on the way back averaged 47.8 now there is something seriously odd there a Fsport averaging way more no given it is brand new and it does slightly more mpg that the 2006 model but a fsport and by that much i dont think so surely

i was talking about the egr valve not the fith injector

iv just taken the car to the dealer reset trip averaged 34.5 on the way there the dealer gave me a is220F sport and the same journey on the way back averaged 47.8 now there is something seriously odd there a Fsport averaging way more no given it is brand new and it does slightly more mpg that the 2006 model but a fsport and by that much i dont think so surely

The F sport has gear ratios which probably suit your IS200 driving style better to give higher mpg. With your IS220 you need to change earlier - but not too soon, and not to use 6th unless you are cruising fast. By comparison to the IS200, although the diesel has higher BHP, that is only over a relatively narrow rev band, and both power and efficiency drop off rapidly either side of it. Also, you will find a lot of situations where more right foot doesn't actually make any difference but ups the noise and fuel used. Don't expect rocket-ship acceleration - its not going to happen. The manufacturers rated combined mpg is over 50 which doesn't seem realistic for real-world driving, but 40+ mpg when everything is sorted out is likely achievable unless you are always in a big hurry.

exactly which is why i would be over the moon if i could acheive 40

im not heavy footed and usually drive steady (been there done that with the thrashing and crashing jobbie) we'll see where were at when t comes bk from the dealer hopefully later today!

on a side not the fsport which they have given me although brand new with some subtle changes to exterior and a few more gadgets inside i did find it really bland it has no MM system and i think that is a massive difference to the feel of the interior plus the interior is black half leather!

i noticed when driving it it does rev quicker so shorter gear ratio and i think i must be the only 1 on the forums here that actually prefer the way the 220se drives over the fsport strange but true

if the car comes bk and i can acheive 40-42 ill be a mightily happy bunny!!

exactly which is why i would be over the moon if i could acheive 40

im not heavy footed and usually drive steady (been there done that with the thrashing and crashing jobbie) we'll see where were at when t comes bk from the dealer hopefully later today!

on a side not the fsport which they have given me although brand new with some subtle changes to exterior and a few more gadgets inside i did find it really bland it has no MM system and i think that is a massive difference to the feel of the interior plus the interior is black half leather!

i noticed when driving it it does rev quicker so shorter gear ratio and i think i must be the only 1 on the forums here that actually prefer the way the 220se drives over the fsport strange but true

if the car comes bk and i can acheive 40-42 ill be a mightily happy bunny!!

With the ISF, I don't take a lot of notice of the average mpg figures the car displays and just keep a running total of litres of fuel bought from till receipts and the total miles done. A bit anal I know, but effortless with a computer. I expected my ISF to guzzle fuel outrageously and was just curious how much. To my pleasant surprise it is just over 23 mpg overall, although draggable way down to 4 mpg when you have fun - seldom because speeds etc. are mainly dictated by traffic. With the ISF's clever auto; town, motorway or being in a hurry makes very little difference. With my IS200 manual - which needed a bit more more rather satifying effort when you pushed it, there was a huge difference. Hope you can get the mpg you want because I can't think of any other reason to have to put up with a 4 pot diesel after the IS200s lovely smooth straight 6.

haha what makes is even worse was my is200 was an auto box so going to the manual whilst it is different is also *easier* to get used to the gearing of the 220d

love the car and the drive to be honest, i really dont have a problem with the way it drives or the gear ratio (maybe because of my previous 2 cars both bein auto so easy to get used to a manual that to some people would gear a bit strange or odd in comparison to the big germans)

the 200 i had was on a 52 plate and was really just starting to get the first few minor niggles with it and prob was the start of it going to cost a bit to keep it running smooth! i had a on going problem with the brakes juddering under braking the discs and everything were changed and nobody (even lexus) could seem to cure it.

Overall though the 200 served me well for 3.5 years and other than wear on tyres the only work it needed doing was the rear shocker

the aircon had a strange problem that lexus wanted £££££'s to even look at (one side of the car was cold as it should be from the A/C and the other side was warm strange enough the center vent the left was cold and the right was warm upon inspection i was suprised to see the two vents are actually 1 behind the dash so that puzzled the dealer as to why half could be cold and half warm!!

im just hoping that the new 220 will give me the reliabilty again for the next 3-3.5 years. Having read the threads about all the niggles rattles and squeekes ppl have had in theres iv so far (touch wood) not found any!

When i dropped the car of in sheff this morning i was kinda hoping the would give me a hybrid loaner just for curiositys sake to see how they drive!

When i dropped the car of in sheff this morning i was kinda hoping the would give me a hybrid loaner just for curiositys sake to see how they drive!

450H - You get in, press the pedal and the car moves without any sensation or noise at all - which strikes a bit spooky at first. As you speed up, you eventually realise the engine is running - it is hard to detect when it starts. The drive is fairly normal and quite brisk with a big V6 + electric motors for max thrust. It does feel a bit top-heavy which is odd, because the weighty batteries are at the bottom. Also at first, the display on the centre console is distracting, showing the constantly changing direction of Battery and engine power etc. All in all, pretty good, but I wonder how long the rechargeable batteries last before they deteriorate & need replacement - how expensive is that likely to be?

well just been to pick the car up from the garage YIKES it needs a engine strip! for the fuel economy problem!!!

as i walked in the garage i got a o mr reeves dave needs to speak to you i though s**t.

so anyways apparantly will be getting a call in the next few days from lexus about it

although they must have done something as i cleared my trip this morning and on the way there i got 34.5 reset it for the same trip back and got 45.6 avg and as high as 48 on the motorway

very very strange and also that the garage need clearence to dismantle my engine! i dont even have lexus extended warrenty so unless its a known problem they are fixing then god knows im certainly not paying having only pick the car up monday.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links