Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Osf & Nsf Mystery Knocking Noise - Problem Solved

grantwils

2 members have voted

1. 1. I had the OSF and/or NSF knocking noise and replaced my slide pins & dust boots

• Yes this worked
    • No this didn't solve the problem & it's still not fixed
    • No this didn't solve the problem but it's fixed now by [explain below] and the slide pins weren't touched

Please only vote if you have replaced/refurbed your slide pins or if you stopped the knocking noise another way

Following on from my post here... 'knocking noise thread' Tigerfish has managed to work out what has been causing the knocking noise at the NSF of my IS200 so I thought I'd post this poll. I spent ages trying to work out what was causing the problem and it seems to be something that plagues IS200 owners.

The symptoms:

Knocking noise over potholes and bumps in the road.

Knocking noise stops if breaks are applied over bumps.

Knocking noise stopped for a while after I replaced the pads & discs - this is because I regreased the slide-pins. This didn't last because the pins and dust boots were knackered.

Other symptoms (might not be linked):

Throbbing when braking as if disks are warped (I think this is because the knackered slide pins caused my discs to overheat and warp).

It's very easy and quick to check the condition of your slide pins. All you need to do is remove the wheel and grab a 13mm spanner/socket. You should have some grease nearby as it won't harm to lube them even if they're fine. I used Comma CV Lithium Grease from Halfords for £6.

There are two types of slide pin, you'll have one of each per side. The 'sub' pin is just a solid pin. The 'main' slide pin has a groove for a rubber bush near the end.

With the wheel removed you just need to undo the two 13mm bolts holding the calliper on.

Hang the calliper safely. I used a bungee chord hooked to the spring, you can use string, rope or just put it on an axle stand.

Pull each slide pin out and inspect. If it's a pain to remove you need to either replace the pin (£6-£8 from a main dealer) or clean it up and put it back in if it's in decent enough condition.

If it's the 'main' pin and the bush is knackered you'll need to replace the bush too (£3-£4 from a main dealer).

Also inspect the dust boot, if it's in a bad way replace it (£3-£4 from a main dealer).

Tigerfish has an excellent tutorial on how to replace them in his signature TigerFish's Slide Pin Tutorial which goes in to a bit more detail and has pics.

Worst case scenario is you'll need 4 boots, 4 pins and 2 bushes but it's likely you'll only need 4 boots, 2 pins and 2 bushes.

I removed the torque plate so I could clean all the old grease out of the slide pin recess. I used penetrating spray and cotton buds. Again it's just 2 bolts but they are a PITA to remove.

If this worked for you please vote. If you tried it and it didn't work please vote. If you fixed it in some other way without touching the slide pins please vote.

Many thanks to TigerFish for this easy, quick, cheap fix

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links