Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Open Road

Fidgits

Okay, here is my report from today's Open Road at Oxford...

Well arrived, and was given the keys to the LS430 straight away. I have to say, I wasn't sure about this one, after all, it is one HUGE car, and the course was through a small town and some narrow Oxfordshire lanes...

WHAT A SURPRISE, this car is ace! it is SO manuverable, I missed a turning, and easily did a 3-point turn. This huge luxury barge manages to feel smaller on the outside than it is, and it is one of the most comfortable drives I have ever had... The toys are great, especially the 'cooling' seats.

Mrs Mop really liked the massaging rear seats...

The LS felt very quick and agile... but after you really could drive the length of the country in it and feel as refreshed as when you got in.

Then onto what I was looking forward to the SC430, roof down.. and well... the engine is great, and 'top down' motoring was fun... the car was fast, and handled okay, but on the narrow twisty lanes the front wheels seemed to bounce and pull you it different directions... definatly more of a cool cruiser than an all-out sports car.

Next came the GS430 Sport, looks great, goes like a rocket, and handled very well.. probably my best drive of the day. I really would have one of these.. :D :D

I was grinning from start to finish, a great all rounder, for comfort/ride and performance/handling. :wub:

The last car of the day was the RX300, firstly the parking camera... fantastic, so useful!

Secondly the Off-road course.. suspension set on High, following the route.. some deep ruts, and.. bang-crash... and it had bottomed out. On road, I didn't have the confidence to push it through the corners, and although it felt stable, I found myself being very careful.

A big thumbs up to Lexus Hospitality.. very welcoming, coffee and cakes, and no sales pressure what so ever!

A fun day was had, and the LS has to come top for toys, followed by the GS for fun...

Well,

I arrived at the same time as you Ian. shame OUr paths nevr crossed. I did see Simon from the Grove Clan. he had driven EVERYTHING!! beaming ear to ear!

I too got out in the LS first. got lost three times and turned the 17.2 mile route into a 28 mile route. Cant think of a nice limo to get lost in. nice turn of pace too!

THen the RX300.... SOrry. just not my cup of tea. thr parking thingy was great. with practice that would be a great tool. I did the off road cuorse. frankly, you could have done it in the LS... the susspenssion was way too thrashy for a lexus. I didnt bother doingthe road route. had bigger fish to fry!!

THE GS430 SPORT.

Simple. I WANT ONE. BEst car of the day. thinking about a loan already as I don't have a spare £40k But THE RIDE , THE PACE and the fact that it kept reminding me of all that I love about mycar... GREAT. I really would have one of these tomorrow. Mine with Nos is great. but the GS. it has it all. and there is still room for nos!!!

The SC430. roof down she is a real attention seeker. I got the blue one with cream leather. nice. I'd really like one for my appartment in St Tropez Harbour. She would be just the low key, high end look and ride you wanted. over here. not really got the roads to get the best from her. With the roof up, she's a dirty little biiaaach! all of a sudden you are no longer in a convertible. She has the best composure I can think of for a gt roadster. VERY diferent car with the roof on. my advice. do a 50/50 run roof on and off. She is great if you have that budget for a toy car. SHe is not every day.

All in all, a great day with super hosts. But why do they go for old birds tarted up. they were really nice and all. but they had made a very deliberate effort to go for the mature totty appeal. are they saying we cant be trusted around the likes of Jordan and Lindsey Dawn Mckenzie?? where woudl they get that crazy notion?

Loz

Well,

I arrived at the same time as you Ian. shame OUr paths nevr crossed. I did see Simon from the Grove Clan. he had driven EVERYTHING!! beaming ear to ear!

Yeah, I bumped into Simon too... shame I didn't see you, but as soon as I returned a car, they had another ready for me... very slick...

I too got out in the LS first. got lost three times and turned the 17.2 mile route into a 28 mile route. Cant think of a nice limo to get lost in. nice turn of pace too!

I only kinda went wrong twice on the first run, but I had Mrs Mop as navigator, so didn't go too far out!

The GS430 Sport

Simple. I WANT ONE.

Me too... I took the black one :D B) fancy going halfs on one??? :whistling:

SC430

With the roof up, she's a dirty little biiaaach

I was too busy posing with the roof down.. so maybe didn't get the best from her...

But did get a lot of attention in it.. or maybe that was Christina in the passenger seat?

think it was the passenger mate!

shame I didn't see you. maybe you didn't recognise me without the AFRO.

and I was not in L3XRS cos she was having NOs fitted, doh!

I was in the blue KIa Sedonia MPV. the 2.9 deisel one... It was kinda nice to know that when I gave it back I would be getting into my favourite kinda Lexus... apart from this one.... :whistling:

PICT0014.sized.jpg

Loz

Well my Blue IS was parked up.. with the LOC plates in the front and rear windows! :winky:

And it got a nice valet too :D just a shame they didn't let me take the GS430 Sport home instead :(

I enjoyed being chauffeured around for the day, and Ian made it lots of fun making up for the fact that I'm too young :crybaby: to drive on the Open Road (age limit is 25)!

We had a brilliant start to the afternoon the LS430 made me feel like a princess and I didn't have any time to get bored with all the toys, :wub: the cooling/ heated seats!!! and all the fancy sat nav and air con system, even jumped into the back.... impressed with the movable massaging back seats make any journey more interesting and also the automatic sunblind.

It was a great drive and the acceleration thrust you back into the seat.... wish I had a bigger cheque book .. I know what I will get Ian for his Birthday when I win the lottery...!!! :winky:

The SC430 was my first topless experience :whistling: wanted to get out the champange and go to a premiere. However I did feel a little :sick: but not sure if this was the car or Ian testing it around the roundabout (again and again and arrgh..... getting faster :ohmy: )

SC430.sized.jpg

The GS 430 sport was a great ride although a little dispointing that we got stuck in traffic so had to pull over and wait for the road to clear.

GS.sized.jpg

Loved the toys and think this will be Ians next car if he gets his way..... not like I am going to complain. :D

GS2.sized.jpg

The RX want the parking cameras! The off road track was fun and we got it muddy :yahoo: after that the normal road was a little dull.

Lexus Hospitality was great . Thank you and they served good coffee and sticky cakes to finish off a super day. :)

Hi folks,

I was there in the morning.

Great day, tried the LS430 (auto kick down too slow, but nice cruiser), SC430 cool to try the roof down (even though it was raining ;) ) and then the RX300, which I really enjoyed. The RX reversing camera is more then just a camera as it has graphic overlays to guide, which are even linked to the steering wheel (they move as the wheel is moved, very cool). I certainly enjoyed the off road section. I'd expected to be chaperoned around the offroad part but no... handed the keys and disappeared off. I set the ride height high, but it kept lowering again automatically, presumably because I was going too fast :whistling:

Didn't get to try the GS430 Sport or an IS300 unfortunately, though I was offered a drive through the dealership.

But certainly a fun morning, great hospitality, very nice venue, good route.

Lot of (seriously) old folk around at my session. Great to see those folks jumping in the SC430 :)

Cheers,

Nige

Simon and his mate had a great time and he mentioned he'd seen you Ian and Loz. Apparently he parked up in the Honda and stuck on the LOC plates!

He's definitely a Lexus convert and we both love the GS430. If we start saving now, we might be able to get one when we retire :lol:

i missed my open road day as they were fully booked!

You could have had mine, Steve.. they sent me Bournemouth instead of Bradford (not much difference geographically there ;) )

I did offer it out on an Open Road thread, but didn't know if it was transferrable

In case Lexus GB are still reading this thread. A big thank you. It was a great day. well run. the location was great. HOME from HOME. the cars are all splendid, I just know what I like and no longer need to drive every car for the thrill. I was really chuffed with myself that I took the RX back and didn't bother with the road run. I think you may have gone a long way to selling at least a couple of GS430 Sports ( right Ian) and I also think that the club, in a couple of years might have a fleet of black on black ones!

the women and chaps were really courteous. I have never seen so many old people in all my life. I wonder what the ratio of Merc to lex drivers was...

Proud to be a lex driver. even if I did go in a KIA Sedonia!!

Loz :zee:

the women and chaps were really courteous. I have never seen so many old people in all my life. I wonder what the ratio of Merc to lex drivers was...

Proud to be a lex driver. even if I did go in a KIA Sedonia!!

Loz :zee:

Hmmm, was the same at the Firle Place (Lewes) event - lotsa "senior" people - lots older than me even! :winky:

I went to the Tunbridge Wells event on Tuesday. The best thing was it makes you feel young again, very few people under the age of 45  B)

I was there too great day and nice place but the cars were even better the sc430 was the best for me

ANDY

Well my Blue IS was parked up.. with the LOC plates in the front and rear windows! :winky:

And it got a nice valet too :D just a shame they didn't let me take the GS430 Sport home instead :(

Ahhhhh, it was you I was parked next too!!!!

Plat ICE IS300 :-)

It was a wicked day, and the weather held out well too - big up the Lexus crew for arranging this :-)