Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2nd Gear Notch Bluezzz

oka97

Hardly a new thing but just wanted to share my probs with the lovely people here B)

Read some previous posts, seems like if I don't kick up a MAJOR fuss this 2nd gear klonk vill not get fixedhunt!! :angry:

Ahem. Excuse my German.

Only had the car for a week but it is 2nd hand.

I noticed it 'cos I had the windows down, the noise is so loud!

Anyway, hope an oil change will fix it......... but not looking promising :unsure:

Hehe. Bye4now.

ps. Just to show the dealers who they're messin' with, what should I suggest needs fixing? Synchros? 2nd gear? Fly wheel? Entire Clutch? Entire car??? :P

its the syncro hubs and cones on the second gear binding together as they engage- an oil change will not sort out the prob it just hides it for a while - i had my G/box replaced but the fault came back :angry:

Very surprised Veece, as another member had a major struggle with lexus GB and they refused to change the G/Box - said that no one will get a replacement box, only new internals to replace the worn/damgaed ones - good to see you are getting your box changed.

Had my IS200 for one month now (2.5 years old, 30k miles), and the 1st to 2nd change, (and 2nd to 3rd) is also driving me mad. I returned to the dealer within a week of purchase to complain, and was told, of course, that "they all do that".

I have since driven a brand new one (just to make myself feel worse) and, while the change felt bit tight going up into 2nd, it didn't feel like it was grinding at all, and certainly wasn't unpleasant/noisy like mine is.

What I find most unnerving is the "slap" that I get when changing up into 3rd, that I have seen mentioned elsewhere here, that feels like something whacking the side of the gearlever, just as you enter the gate.

I await news from other sufferers with keen interest!

In all other respects, I love the car, but this problem makes me think I'll not be keeping it for that long...

What annoys me about myself is I spent ages researching this forum on what to look out for when buying a 2nd hand... err3, poor alignment, wheel wear, pitted alloys etc etc

But this awful gear problem I overlooked!!

You know what else? There are a lot of experts in this forum, proper car mechanics, dealership people too... they haven't commented on this problem at all.

Is somebody keeping a secret? :whistling:

The replacement gearbox I am getting on Thursday, is as far as I know, a reconditioned one.

The Service Manager at Chester told me that they get the parts shipped to them and then build the gearbox themselves.

I made the decision to have mine replaced after driving a 52reg loan IS200, while getting my wheels replaced, the gear change on this was as sweet as a nut.

Fingers crossed for Thursday, as the gear change is really starting to :tsktsk: me off.

Paul

had my IS200 SE a month now from new and i've always got an audible clunk form somewhere under the car when changing 1st - 2nd. no grinding or anything. just a bit of a clunk.

are you saying this is not normal??? :crying:

the gear change "feels" fine though.

I get the clunk too - apart from the gearbox fluid nothing has been done about mine. I am tempted to live with it as its not all the time. Dealers hate issues like that!

I hate more, the sort of lurch I get on a change when the clutch comes up (its a though one plate has stopped spinning as they bite) Does my head in.

Anyone get that?? Again, its not all the time, and is more evident on slower changes at about 2800rpm but then also at others!!

Hmmm. Don't feel anything too clunky when changing 1st to 2nd to 3rd.

Drove off with the window open and there's a very definate clunking between

first and second. Doesn't sound "bad" - just loud.

I'll have to keep an ear out for it changing.

The replacement gearbox I am getting on Thursday, is as far as I know, a reconditioned one.

The Service Manager at Chester told me that they get the parts shipped to them and then build the gearbox themselves.

I made the decision to have mine replaced after driving a 52reg loan IS200, while getting my wheels replaced, the gear change on this was as sweet as a nut.

Fingers crossed for Thursday, as the gear change is really starting to :tsktsk: me off.

Paul

Veece give us an updated dude B)

Sorry - Nothing to update yet. ;)

The 'Gearbox Guy' was pulling a sicky in this fine English weather. So just had to settle for my new stereo and a very well priced service.

Hopefully get booked in sometime next week, let you know more as soon as I do.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if i suffer from this or not...

Certainly the gearbox 'clunks' into 3rd.. but it never really bothered me, and didnt seem to affect the car at all....

Plus, it has just left its warranty period... so it will have to be okay :shutit:

I do 80 miles (2 hours a day) and it annoys the :tsktsk: out of me, especially when every loan car I have ever driven has gear changes as sweet as a nut, including the 53 reg sportscross I have today.

fingers crossed for clunk free gear changes. :huh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links