Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Ariel has packed up this week, it only retracts half way then makes a terrible clicking sound. I called in at my local Lexi dealer to price up a replacement - I fell out of my pram when they gave me a price !!! :lol:

Halfords offer an electric Ariel for £25.00 - has anybody replaced theirs with a non lexi "cheapie" version ?

Apparently it's not as easy as it seems. Most radio's give a +12V output through the power aerial wire and remove it when the radio is switched off, thus causing the aerial to extend and retract. You might be lucky and have one of those, but on some Lexus', it's done differently. Some, like my GS300, have an aerial that extends to different lengths depending on the radio frequency you are listening to. See this article from Autotoys to find out what you're up against Autotoys

Is it the whole aerial that's gone or could you just replace or grease the mast? You used to be able to get small grease impregnated cloths (molybdenum grease I think) that you rubbed up and down your mast until thoroughly lubed. Hope that doesn't get censored!

Yep! My car aerial also changes to suit the frequency or more precisely the wavelength ensuring maximum gain.

It's time to ask yourself whether you bought the car because you wanted something which was in pursuit of perfection or if you just wanted a flash car.

Put another way, do you deserve the best, are you (as l'oreal state) worth it, or is the best only for other people.

You can purchase just the mast from Lexus for around $60 and change just the mast yourself. Usually it is just the mast that goes bad, the internal nylon toothed cord breaks. Easy job to do if you have the shop manuals.

Curt

Just trashed my own aerial while listening to radio in carwash (shut UP ! STOP LAUGHING !)

I'm in Ireland ... anyone know where to get one without incurring main dealer wallet bleed ?

I'm sure I put a warning up about this somewhere..... :o

never mind... I did it in my t5 a couple of years ago, was furious with myself but hey, its only metal.... :yawn:

• 4 months later...
I did mine on an LS400. Just the mast, I think it was around £22. Bit of a fiddle, but saved loads of cash.

OK GrandAlf - I give in, how do you do it? :blush:

Need to do the same on my SC, so I'm supposing it's the same/similar.

Thx.

I did my aerial today, it's easy peasy really, right, LS400 i presume>

1. open your Lexus toolbox, there are 4 bolts, 10mm, undo these.

2. Remove Plastic Boot guard which runs just inside the boot across where the boot cath is.

3. Remove Carpet around toolbox, the tool box and it's surrounding carpet should pull out easily.

4 You should Now see the aerial,

5 Disconnect the aerial and the power wires, this is easy, also there is a little cylinder thingy at the bottom which just pulls off, careful you don;t brake the plastic ball holding it in place.

6 when looking at aerial you should see 4 bolts, undo bottom 2.

ok now to the outside of the car.

7where the aerial extends from the boot, the is a metal circle with four grooves in, this tweists off, you can use a screwdriver to ease it round, just stick the flat edge in a groove and push, don;t slip, you'll scratch ya paint :excl:

8 The aerial should now be free, take it out and put the new one in.

If you buy one from halford I suggest you take the broken one with you to check connections.

Hope this is of some help

Bison :zee:

Thanks Bison - sounds straightforward to fit a new one. (Maybe post your info on the Workshop forum for others to pick up?)

Meanwhile I've had the bent mast replaced by my local dealer. Seems they press some combination of buttons on the radio unit that causes the motor to keep running long enough to push the whole mast out of the sleeve in the base of the unit. I'll know that for next time !

Thx again.

• 3 weeks later...

93_LS400 >> Your not the only one mate. I feel like a right old plonker. Im sitting in the carwash, and what do I do? Bosh, put on the radio as the flamin dryer is going over the roof !! Before I know it, I can see th arial keeling over and just ... ahhh... i was gona shoot myself !!!!

Can I have a prat of the year medal / award please ?

I recon we should acknowledge supreme stupidity in this world !! What's people's views on that?

If you do something stupid, u get recognition for it. I think that's only fair !

Anyway, Im now goning to have a go @ the weekend to see if Bison has been telling fibs or not :withstupid: :iraqi-info-minister:

For those interested in seeing some pix on how to remove the aerial, send me an E-mail. I just did mine and took some photo's as I did it so you can see it before you try. I didn't have this and would have wished if it was available ... B)

my e-mail is ls400@ardavan.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced the antenna mast in my 92 LS400 with a $20.00 unit I bought from eBay. Very easy:

1) Turn ignition to "lock"

2) Remove the round slotted nut on top of the antenna (the antenna nut)

3) Have an assistant hold the "AM", "LW/MW" or "LW/SW" and ( "CD" or "TAPE" )butttons in while simultaneously turning the ignition to "ACC"

(The mast will extend fully, pushing the toothed nylon cable out as well...guide it so it does not scratch the car and use a towel...it is very greasy!. If it does not all come out, you will have to remove the antenna unit itself and take it apart to get the pieces of the nylon cable out...still worth doing!).

4) Once the old mast and slotted cable are out, be sure the ignition is still set to "ACC" and the radio has been turned on using the procedure in step 3.

5) Insert the new mast/cable into the antenna hole with the slotted teeth in the cable facing toward the rear of the car. ( the manual says push it in 400 mm )

6) Have an assistant turn the ingition to "LOCK"...the cable, then the mast should be drawn into the hole while you guide it.

7) Even if it has not been drawn completely in, reinstall the antenna nut. The mast will eventually adjust itself and extend/withdraw competely.

8) That's it...cheaper than having the dealer do it by a long shot! ... Good Luck

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links