Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turbo

jasper

I was looking on the us forums today and found a link to this site http://www.turbo-kits.com

I e-mailed them to see if the one specified was for the uk spec is200 and got this reply:-

Hey Paul,

Yes that is for the IS200 UK spec. The prices are

Superior = $2099 USD + $500 USD for Shipping or 1,509.66 GBP Extreme = $2799 USD + $500 USD for Shipping or 1,916.26 GBP

Just wondered how this compared to the TDI turbo for price etc. :question:

Jasp

I was looking on the us forums today and found a link to this site http://www.turbo-kits.com

I e-mailed them to see if the one specified was for the uk spec is200 and got this reply:-

Hey Paul,

Yes that is for the IS200 UK spec. The prices are

Superior = $2099 USD + $500 USD for Shipping or 1,509.66 GBP Extreme = $2799 USD + $500 USD for Shipping or 1,916.26 GBP

Just wondered how this compared to the TDI turbo for price etc. :question:

Jasp

Thats really cheap as chips!!! what type of turbo is that for???

That is a good price. Here is a direct link to the IS200 products http://www.turbo-kits.com/IS200_turbo_kits.html

I would only recommend the Extreme kit has this has an intercooler and BOV. According to the site it increases the bhp to 238.

Shame the delivery costs are so high!

erm Colin, why would you only reccomend the extreme kit???? The standard one seems suitable enough. After all, it claims to give the same % increase as the S/C... and it wont be putting as much pressure on the internals...

You also need to add on duty and vat (on both the turbo kit and even the shipping...)

Mind you, since the turbo works by using energy that's otherwise wasted, its a much nicer approach than supercharging.

erm Colin, why would you only reccomend the extreme kit???? The standard one seems suitable enough. After all, it claims to give the same % increase as the S/C... and it wont be putting as much pressure on the internals...

I don't like the idea of a Turbo system without a BOV even if it is low pressure and I think the Extreme kit is better value.

You also need to add on duty and vat (on both the turbo kit and even the shipping...)

Mind you, since the turbo works by using energy that's otherwise wasted, its a much nicer approach than supercharging.

i was under the impression that s/c was a kinda option over the t/c as there is no sudden whoosh of pressure..

i was under the impression that s/c was a kinda option over the t/c as there is no sudden whoosh of pressure

It shouldn't be sudden if the electronics is set up properly. On my Impreza, there was just a good steady increasing urge from about 3000rpm upwards.

If you're thinking of the blow-off whoosh, then again if it's a properly designed recirculating system and not a boy racer vent to air system, the turbo shouldn't have any problems.

Keeping the oil fresh is more important on turbos tho' because of the high temps when it's being pumped thru the turbo bearings. So giving all the rules about letting the engine idle for a minute after a hard run to allow the turbo to cool and not carbonise the oil left inside it.

But has this kit been tested like the TTE kit?

Do they have IS200's in the USA?

If does seem a bit strange that a US company is selling a kit for a car that is not on sale there. I wonder if a European company has done the design work?

Thats what i thought Colin.

A good point raised indeed, I'd say...

Perhaps some others will have some answers...

The likes Of Mat perhaps.... As his very knowledgeable with these things as well as you.

But if the kit has proven results... I must say.. It's not a bad buy at all...

:)

I must admit that I'd personally be a bit wary about spending that amount on a bolton kit unless there was a UK based setup service! I think SteveAudioX is right that there aren't any IS200s in the states. Are there 2 litre Altezas? Or is the kit actually sourced from Japan?

I swapped my Impreza for the IS200 to help my transition to late middle age, so I'm trying not to mind that it doesn't have the urge of the Subaru!! Must stop reading these performance threads...

Looks v.interesting - sure would like to see one :)

If it was designed in the US or in Europe it would be unlikely to fit easily because our cars are right hand drive, which means the steering shaft and brake servo and master cylinder may be in the way of the down pipe, but for that money it could be worth buying the kit and modifying it to suit.

sorry

forgot to say, if this is sent to a friend in the US, can he send it and enable us not to pay taxes etc?

The only way you can 'avoid' import tax, would be if your friend bought it for you, and sent it to you as a gift. Of course, if you were to pay for it, then this wouldn't be a gift, and labelling it as such to avoid tax would be illegal.

sorry

forgot to say, if this is sent to a friend in the US, can he send it and enable us not to pay taxes etc?

The only way you can 'avoid' import tax, would be if your friend bought it for you, and sent it to you as a gift. Of course, if you were to pay for it, then this wouldn't be a gift, and labelling it as such to avoid tax would be illegal.

and its got to be under a certain value , somewhere round £ 25 :blink:

... nothing a bit of jigery pokery with the old tapometer could'nt sort out steve! ;)

Yeah maybe that and some major fabrication and moving of essential components :o

If it was designed in Australia it should bolt straight on - which would be nice. :o