Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ignition Barrel

Imagine my dismay when 6 weeks out of warranty and just parked up to do my Christmas shopping, my car won't lock? I get back into the car put the key in the ignition and try to start it - nothing, try to take the key from the lock - stuck! I called out the RAC and they managed to get the key out but the engine wasn't going anywhere. Due to the transmission, the car then had to be flatbedded to the dealer where they tell me it's going to cost £500 to replace, fit, etc.

Both the RAC and the flatbed company tell me they have picked up four within the last month with the exact same problem and when I spoke to my dealer he had to admit they had released one last week having had the same problem. Is this a design fault? Are there anymore out there with the same problem.

Would really appreciate feedback on this.

Thanks everyone.

Catherine ;)

Hello Catherine,

this is starting to become a common problem, if it is just th ignition lock sticking in position then i would suggest that you get a new ignition lock barrel cut to your existing key, this will cost in the region of £80-£90 and to change the ignition barrel will take about 30 mins, i changed mine in my lunch time without any hassle at all, its all very straight forward.

When i changed mine i opted for a complete lock set and new keys, this i dont reccomend if you just have problems with the ignition lock as the door lock is a bit difficult to change.

Please send me a PM or an email and i will gladly speak with you in depth about this.

Kind regards

Rob.

The dealer noticed this problem (was going to happen) in mine just before the delivary and he sorted it out. Delyed the delivary by a few days :angry: but it was good it was sorted out then.

Hi, Catherine here again!!!

All sorted with my car now. My dealer pulled the stops out and I got it back two days after the problem occurred. So back to driving my Lex rather than the Saab 95 I had as a hire car!!!

Thanks for all the feedback on this. I'm hoping Lexus take this problem seriously now - I did have a fair bit to say on the subject!! After all my car is only 6 weeks out of it's 3 year warranty.

Catherine :D

• 9 years later...

hi new to LOC and have same problem with ignition apart from getting my key fob working or keyless entry to work? the ignition barrel was stuck in acc but got a friend to free up barrel but now can't get keyless entry to work again?? i was wondering was your fob working when you had ignition barrel problem?? i have had it down to lexus just dropped in and asked but he said he could re-programme the alarm in 10-15 mins but could not do it!! he did not open it or look at it for long and looked un-interested he advised me it could be keyless ECU at £270 no thanks got one my self wth exact part No but still no joy??? i had noticed that the steering lock was not locking the same way as my previous lexus is200 and got the same friend to put it right as he pulled me out the do do the first time as had work next day and he fixed it when dark!! but still can't get security light to come on when taking key out of barrel or do i need to try to re-programme it as i have info how to do this as lexus dealer stated there was codes on it that i think me and my friend had tried already!!! PLEASE HELP?????? i hope it mite just be barrel but that seems ok now but my friend found a connector under barrel that has no place to go! could this be a supplementery connector for an extra my car does'nt have????? i'm losted and don't want to pay lexus £130 for just plugging it in as have just been let go from work!! and get a alarm fitted for £160 got three kids and not much to spend but want to spend wisely!! ANY HELP WOULD BE WELCOME?? PLUS ANYBODY ELSE DONE ACIS VALVE MOD?? WORKS GREAT LOT MORE CONTROL OF POWER UNDER FOOT!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links