Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Oil

DUNCAN

Was wanting to drop the oil out to fit my oil temp guage sensor into the sump plug.

While I'm doing this I may as well put some decent oil back in.

Can anyone recomend a very good oil ie: Mobil 1, Tripple R etc, and can I use fully synthetic ?

Also what grade does it need to be bearing in mind it's supercharged now ?

(BTW I got a free 750ml bottle of Slick 50 to put in aswell)

Thanks. :)

Was wanting to drop the oil out to fit my oil temp guage sensor into the sump plug.

While I'm doing this I may as well put some decent oil back in.

Can anyone recomend a very good oil ie: Mobil 1, Tripple R etc, and can I use fully synthetic ?

Also what grade does it need to be bearing in mind it's supercharged now ?

(BTW I got a free 750ml bottle of Slick 50 to put in aswell)

Thanks. :)

i use Castrol RS oil in mine,i wouldnt use slick 50,just change your oil regular :)

Why wouldn't you use Slick 50 ?

i had a renault 9 turbo years ago,and i swear the slick 50 knacked it,it was fine till i put that stuff in,keep your lex sweet with reg oil changes ,thats what i am doing anyway :)

Are you sure it wasn't your right foot that knackered it... :P

You should only use what the manufacture recommends, if you look in the hand book, this will show you what spec oil you should be using.

With or without S/C as this really makes little or no difference to the temp of the engine is running at.

if your adding oil additives its best to add them from the start, i.e a new engine,

Dave ellen would be pleased to know the engine he got from me was treated from new and had oil changes every 3000 miles aswell, also the gearbox had the same treatments and changes..again all with LiquiMoly products

Duncan Ive always found part synth oils last better....ive always used them , the only time ive used fully synth is on customers cars because they ask for it

LIQUIMOLY GOOD FOR YOUR ENGINE....GOOD FOR YOU :winky:

I would use fully synth on turbo cars as they can take more heat and higher loads. Gives you more protection if you forget to idle your engine before switching off. Also they flow much better when cold even if it has the same viscosity as a normal oil. On a non turbo just stick with normal or part synth. Just make sure it is changed on schedule.

The supercharger shouldn't make a difference because that doesn't use the engine oil for it's lubrication.

Remember to use the manufactures recommended oil grade and viscosity otherwise you could have problems with warranty claims.

Why wouldn't you use Slick 50 ?

i had a renault 9 turbo years ago,and i swear the slick 50 knacked it,it was fine till i put that stuff in,keep your lex sweet with reg oil changes ,thats what i am doing anyway :)

Are you sure it wasn't your right foot that knackered it... :P

no man,i use to take it easy then :whistling:

if your adding oil additives its best to add them from the start, i.e a new engine,

Dave ellen would be pleased to know the engine he got from me was treated from new and had oil changes every 3000 miles aswell, also the gearbox had the same treatments and changes..again all with LiquiMoly™ products

Duncan Ive always found part synth oils last better....ive always used them , the only time ive used fully synth is on customers cars because they ask for it

Good to hear :whistling:

Heres hoping for 350 bhp from the little beauty :hehe:

Chuck your Slick50 in the bin Duncan - or flog it to someone you dislike ( no i don't want it :D )

It'll likely do more harm than good ...

The US FTC (Federal Trade Commission) came down heavy on them for false claims.

This link gives an outline of the problems... http://www.usasynthetic.com/page18.html

All these types of additives could cause similar failures - Beware !! :unsure:

As for Oil, I've tended to use Duckhams QXR when choosing myself.

It's a semi-synthetic so guess i'm with Mat on that one.

First used it years ago after big probs with Castrol GTX going sludgy white.

The QXR completely cured that problem so i stuck with it. Castrol... Barrr Muck :yack:

Last service i had the dealer used some synthetic stuff ( texaco i think ).

Tried to charge 53quid for it - told them to sod off and it instantly halved in price :angry:

not all additives are harmfull though......

i agree slick 50, and the old STP are now known to be not upto the job, but all i can say is many DTM motorsport teams use the liquimoly™ products....and i have been using them for years and seen nothing but good results...but again i stress if only used on very young or new engines

how come my is200 gearbox, never clunked, whined or had any problems... :winky: , was it the use of LiquiMoly™ from new :winky:

I used slick50 on a diesel engine a few years ago, and as a result I had to adjust the idle because the engine was running much more freely. The engine went up through the revs much quicker (under no load). I was tempted to use it again but was gonna let the car get a few more miles on it.

A month ago the German car-mag Auto-Bild did another test with the currently available oil additives. According to the article ALL are at least a waste of money, some can actually detrimental. Some really deceptive reasoning and advertising is usually what you get.

Another Article (in German)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links