Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Hid Headlights

I have borrowed an IS250SE-L with MM for an overnight test drive so that I can really get to know the car and its systems.

To try out the adaptive headlights I drove out to some local villages where there are some twisty unlit minor roads. I immediately noticed a difference to the light patterns I get from my present BMW 525 (also fitted with HID). The IS250 did not throw any light up into the hedgerows on the passenger side. It was as if both headlights were setup for the drivers side, minimising glare to oncoming cars, but consequently not giving much 'throw'.

My BMW headlights can be adjusted for Continental driving by setting a small lever in the top of each headlight that modifies the beam pattern accordingly. The effect I witnessed in the IS250 was as if the passenger headlight was set for driving on the right, not the left. (I hope this makes sense to those reading).

Do the IS250 headlights have this adjustment system, and if so could it have been set incorrectly?

Hi Mike, I live in the country so narrow twisty lanes form part of my journey every day. I also have the IS250 SE-L with MM and have noticed the big difference between the light given out with the new IS over the old one. The light on the passengers side is just as good as that from the drivers side on my car. I don't know of anyway of modifying the lights for other driving conditions.

I don't want to be rude but was the system switched on as there is a satellite switch to turn them off?

Hi Mike, I live in the country so narrow twisty lanes form part of my journey every day.  I also have the IS250 SE-L with MM and have noticed the big difference between the light given out with the new IS over the old one.  The light on the passengers side is just as good as that from the drivers side on my car.  I don't know of anyway of modifying the lights for other driving conditions.

I don't want to be rude but was the system switched on as there is a satellite switch to turn them off?

Thanks for the reply.

The AFS was turned on and visible functioned as far as turning the appropriate headlight into a corner, but that was not my point. I was trying to refer to the lack of illumination at higher levels on the passenger side, but I think I know the reason for it. My BMW headlights conform to the ECE standard that attempts to throw light up towards road signs, but can lead to dazzle for other drivers. The Lexus headlights are referred to as 'harmonised' meaning they can legally be used on the continent without modification as the sharp HID cutoff extends across both sides, but therefore does not throw any light upwards on the passenger side. I think more and more cars will adopt the Lexus system, so its just that I will have to get used to it, if I decide to purchase an IS250

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links