Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Tps?

H9JKL

hi all!!! very new member from uk

i bought an is200 s a few days ago for £1030, it drives very slow at first take off as if its fighting with the driver, i've taken it to kwik-fit and they said they think it needs a new ecu.

doing some research on google showed that a lot of people have had this problem and even after a new ecu/plugs/injectors/map/ the problem is still there-

now seen as the fault codes are generally the same for standard toyota codes (just worded differently) it comes up as

-faults 8-

P0301 Misfire Detected - Cyl. 1.

P0302 Misfire Detected - Cyl. 2.

P0303 Misfire Detected - Cyl. 3.

P0304 Misfire Detected - Cyl. 4.

P0305 Misfire Detected - Cyl. 5.

P0306 Misfire Detected - Cyl. 6.

P0174 System Too Lean (A/F Lean Malfunction, Bank 2)

P1123 Accelerator Full Close Switch Circuit Open

-pending faults 7-

P0300 Random Misfire.

now the p1123 is the throttle switch, as this sends data for enrichment etc could this actually be the cause of the rest?

if so please can somebody help me in how to fix it :-)

i am completely new to the lexus engine having only ever worked on my own cars as hobbies, iknow a little about alfa romeo, ford, fiat, citreon, vauxhall and renault engines

thankyou in advance!

shan

hi all!!! very new member from uk

i bought an is200 s a few days ago for £1030, it drives very slow at first take off as if its fighting with the driver, i've taken it to kwik-fit and they said they think it needs a new ecu.

doing some research on google showed that a lot of people have had this problem and even after a new ecu/plugs/injectors/map/ the problem is still there-

now seen as the fault codes are generally the same for standard toyota codes (just worded differently) it comes up as

-faults 8-

P0174 System Too Lean (A/F Lean Malfunction, Bank 2)

P1123 Accelerator Full Close Switch Circuit Open

-pending faults 7-

P0300 Random Misfire.

now the p1123 is the throttle switch, as this sends data for enrichment etc could this actually be the cause of the rest?

if so please can somebody help me in how to fix it :-)

i am completely new to the lexus engine having only ever worked on my own cars as hobbies, iknow a little about alfa romeo, ford, fiat, citreon, vauxhall and renault engines

thankyou in advance!

shan

Assuming you have eliminated the obvious like dead/dying fuel pump, wires dropped off and iffy electrical mods; check the easy bits first. You need a multimeter but they are dirt cheap from anywhere. Try Maplin.

Find the switch and check it works by continuity checks with the car wiring disconnected.

Workshop manual Here http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/IS_98-05/menu_tree.html

to help you find where it is. Sometimes just the action of unplugging the leads will clean the contacts and solve the problem. (You should be that lucky!) In fact it is no bad idea to unplug & replug all the connectors you can find to "clean" their contacts.

It would be as well to check the Lambda Sensor just in case the fault codes have missed this. Check it isn't physically broken and has a sensible resistance value compared with a good one on a friend's IS200 at the same temperature.

Then see if the correct spark-plugs are fitted. If they are not, replace them with the exact type Lexus specify and nothing else. Other allegedly better plugs are known to cause misfire problems.

The next likely cause is coil-packs which are not cheap from Lexus. Ideally borrow packs from the very kind friend with an IS200 to prove they are the cause. Packs from a breakers are much cheaper but an unknown quantity and pointless to fit unless you can prove they are OK on the friend's IS200. This is the only way to effectively test them apart from suck-it-and-see and hope. Suppliers suggesting the packs are "tested" are usually lying and really rely on you to test them - but will generally replace them with equally untested packs if you find they are dud.

The least likely cause is the ECU unless it is full of water or has been.

Best of luck.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links