Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Planning A Brake Service

MUDGUTS

Hi all,

I'm planning a (front) brake service on my 2004 GS 300.

A while ago I had new discs & pads fitted to the front as the old discs were quite warped.

One of the things mentioned at the time was that I could get a 'Fitting Kit'...there are little springs fitted with the pads and they are either worn or weak etc. and the pads can move more than usual in the calliper creating a clunking sound when I apply brakes after reversing or vice versa. I've noticed the clunks at other times also.

I plan on getting the fitting kit and some brake cleaner and giving them a good clean at the same time. I have some Copper grease.

Any suggestions as to where best to get the fitting kit from and what is in it: Those little springs, I guess.

Also any other advice as to how to proceed with this or is it just a case of stripping down and rebuilding.

• 2 weeks later...

Not wishing to appear sad, I'll answer my own post for the benefit of anyone else who finds this.

I bought the fitting kit from brakeparts.co.uk. For the front there are a total of 8 clips and 4 springs. I bought some discounted brake cleaner & grease from Eurocarparts on a 'click and collect'. I used a combination of the brake cleaner, wire and soft brushes to clean everything and used some Lithium grease for the Calipers pins.

It was just a case of taking everything apart and after cleaning and greasing the Calipers pins, reassembly.

One thing I would advise is to take some pictures of them before you strip the brakes so that you can be in no doubt as to how it all goes together and also buy plenty of brake cleaner.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links