Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dreaded Err3 Message - Major Pants!

Hi Guys

It is a sad day my 2000 IS Sport has it's first major problem. I have read loads and loads of the pages on this forum about replacing the headunit which I am inclined to do, the info has been very helpful so thanks to all those that take the time to post. A few questions please;

1. What is the realistic time from start to finish to do this job. I am going to my parents this weekend so have proper tools and garage to use? I have replaced one on my old MR2 SW20 and it was a good weekends work!!!!!!

2. I want it is a simple as possible no soldering etc. I just want to take out the old one, plug in the loom, install the new headunit and off we go!!

3. I believe I need the amp bypass cable and fascia kit, what is a good fascia kit which is the same quality plastic as the IS, no cheap plastic please. There seems to be some cable debate - what is the final solution?

4. I just want a good brand head unit, doesn't have to be a changer as I will link ipod up now, Bluetooth would be handy but not essential, don't need sat nav. Happy to pay for better sound rather than gadgets, I am 38 years old!!!!!! - any suggestions please.

Appreciate any input, I am not really looking forward to doing it as things always go wrong and these jobs eat time, but any help would be really useful. Need to get ordering parts ASAP.

Thanks

onlybone

Allright only bone, i'll tell u what i know.

Most buy the autoleads fascia, which gives you the option of single / double din, which fits perfectly, but colour & finish does not match the dash, so i went down DJ wozzas route of filling / sanding & painting to match,CLICK with drying times all in you could do this in a day but it will have to be fitted once totally dry, in total this would take all weekend, there is a original lexus replacement, unsure of part numbers but is more expensive and doesn't look so good, so your first decision there.

If you go down the auto leads fascia route you will require slightly longer bolts to fit the stereo to the fascia as the lex ones are very short.

If you have a sport or se 200, then you will need the autoleads amp bypass cable, disconnect the amp located under glovebox, and reout the cable to head unit, if you have nav, then another box of tricks is required.CLICKY

Taking the dash apart and fitting the unit is the easy bit, there is a picture walkthru from another site.LINK

This is how mine turned out.PIC

Best of luck.

Deckie.

Hi Deckie

That is great,thanks for taking the trouble to put all the links in. I have just clicked link for aztecbandit1 and nothing comes up for all this posts which is weird, no photos ot text, anyone else have this problem?

I like your unit, mine hopefully will look as good I have ordered a Panasonic - amazon did this for £335 delivered!! Had to order ipod cable and Bluetooth for phone so £470 total, worth doing while I have the guts out!!!

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Prod...0148/index.html

I think I have all the right bits on order, just hope they turn up before the weekend.

As you say I think I will work on the facia before the weekend to get it up to spec. Will post some pics when I am done.

Thanks again

onlybone

Thats a nice unit you've opted for,

Best of luck, look forward to the pic's.

Dunno what's going on with Aztec's picture walk thru, it would be handy for you.

About to start doing this too, after the dreaded ERR3 message, just ordered a JVC double din DVD unit.

I hope my Fascia surround turns out as good as yours Deckie, really nice job.

Best of luck hodaz, just do not rush it, fill and sand until you are very happy with finish before painting, as this will then show up any blemishes, take your time.

The JVC units are good, ipod playback is slow, not ages, but not instant either, but i have a 8GB SD card full of music with album artwork that i use all the time, so i dont need to bother plugging in the ipod at all, apart from the slow ipod playback, JVC are really good value for money. My one has Sat nav built in, discontinued product, got it on the cheap ;)

Remember to put up your pics also :)

Not even going to bother with Ipod playback, got a fairly top end ICE install so usually only listen to original CD's anyway. A DVD disc can probably hold a good few albums anyway, even ripped at top qulaity.

Have you got the Bluetooth kit for yours Deckie? Is it any good?

It's IN!!!!!! Took 12 hours, well pleased with result a big thank you to all who have contributed walkthrus on this site saved me no end of hassle. A few pointers for people if they try it;

DSC01689.jpg

Do take the time to use wozzas excellent guide on painting the facia. If you are installing 500 quids worth of gear you don't want a facia that looks like it is from Tandy!

When you sray the facia with the black paint, little and often is the best advice. Hold the can between 12 to 18 inches from the facia, if you hold it too close the final effect can be a bit shiny, you want it closer to matt to match the lexus dash

I have a tilt mechanism on my unit. The standard plastic insert is too small, I had to sand this by hand to make it fit and the unit tilt. Be warned.

The bypass wire is easy to fit and works fine.

There is not much room at the back of a double din unit. I added an AV cable so i can use my shuffle and onda unit. I had to modify the cable to give it enough room to fit length wise in the hole. Be warned over the length of your unit fitting in the hole, no innuendo intended.

Beware extra costs, my panisonic unit boasts Bluetooth, ipod cable etc. You have to buy an adaptor unit to have both of these fitted another 100 quid if you can get one. I decided to opt for Bluetooth as the unit has one socket at the rear for this. My ipod cable i will resell on eBay. Hence why i installed av cable.

The Bluetooth is simple to fit and works brill with the phone, sound is perfect. You can install this easily and hide all the wires behind the door pillar interior and run it along the inside of the windscreen, i used small pieces of black foam to push wire down, you cannot see it and it takes 2 mins. The only wire visible is 2cms from the middle of the windscreen down into the vent in front of windsreen. When the stereo is out it is a good time to route the Bluetooth wire.

Easy to hardwire the earth to a bolt near the amp so you can view DVDs in transit for the passenger.

The whole install with Bluetooth for the phone was 500 quid and the sound an look is awesome.

Bluetooth installed by driver. Sorry about poor pic.

DSC01690-1.jpg

Any questions be happy to answer them and thanks again for all the help on these forums.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links