Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing By Unauthorised Garge

babyboomer

Hi, I've just joined and don't know my way around the site yet. My question must have been asked before but I don't know where to find the topic! I have a GS300 which I bought from a main dealer last September, 2009,(my first Lexus).It was 22 months old at the time and had just under 12,000 miles on the clock. The mileage is now just under 18,000 and the 3 year warranty from new will expire on 30th November this year(2010). The service record book shows the 1st service at 12 months old (Dec 2008)at 7221 miles and a 2nd service at 20 months old (July 2009)at 11778 miles. I think the 2nd service was probably done in preparation for selling it.

I've not had it serviced yet as I have only added 6,000 miles. Does it need servicing now as it is 12 months since the last service or can it wait until November when it will be 3 years old when it will have about 22000 miles on the clock, which will then take me to the end of, or close to the end of the warranty period?

Also I am wondering if I should then have it serviced by my local Lexus main dealer or should I seek out an independent garage which would hopefully charge less than main dealer prices? I would like to hear the forum members opinions on whether the car should always be serviced and repaired by an official Lexus dealer, or if a good garage/mechanic can be found, would I save a lot of money on future servicing and repair costs? What do you all do once your car is out of warranty? Is there anything special about the way a GS300 should be serviced or repaired or once out of warranty is it not worth paying main dealer charges?

I look forward to hearing your views.

It all depends on if you are going to keep it or sell it on. My last GS was serviced by a local garage and it went on to nearly 200,000 miles. Replaced with another GS that has 38,000 on the clock and you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.

If you are going to sell it shortly then put another Lexus stamp in it when it's due according to the book.

I had been through a similar situation and the answer Re: your third service interval is that it should be Either a year from the last service OR 10,000 miles (whichever is earlier, according to Lexus manual), saying that yours is due to its service within this month. The other thing to add is that you are still within your warranty, which means you have to service your car as Per Lexus recommendations, otherwise it will invalidate the warranty.

Re: where to service it? it is still under 3 years, so why servicing it in an independent garage? If because of cost, shop around different dealers or you may consider a service plan :whistling:

Ahmed

• 4 weeks later...

It all depends on if you are going to keep it or sell it on. My last GS was serviced by a local garage and it went on to nearly 200,000 miles. Replaced with another GS that has 38,000 on the clock and you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.

If you are going to sell it shortly then put another Lexus stamp in it when it's due according to the book.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links