Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt Change

Balthane

Hi folks

I have a 2002 IS200 which has done 58k and has a sticker on the engine saying thta belts are to be changed this September. I presume this means bekts were last changed in 2007. I bought the car 2 years ago.

I want to get the belts cahnged by an independent garage to avoid ridiculous dealer charges so is it safe for me to wait until September to get the belts changed (I do not want the disaster of snapping) and how much should I expect to pay?

My mechnical knolwedge is that of a moose so I would be grateful for any and all advice :flowers:

You say ridiculous dealer charges. Lexus were £41 more expensive than an independent on mine!

If your cambelt was changed in 2007 and the car has only done 58k then for one it was changed early as the cambelt is due every 60k or 10 years. I'd say you were safe but it's up to you if you change it or not :)

Thank you very much for your comments.

I say ridiculous dealer charges as when the batteries in my keys died I went to the dealership to buy a screwdriver (couldn't get one elswhere locally) to open them so I could change the batteries. Dealer said they could not sell me a screwdriver but that they would chnge the batteries for me to which I agreed. It took 2 minutes and they charged me £18.

Lexus are crazy prices for some things such as getting quoted £2k for a new stereo!

But when it comes to essential maintenance such as cambelts that they know everybody has to have this done I've found them to be very competitive.

I had the 3 Aux belts changed in November for £55 fitted. £20 cheaper than the cheapest independent I found! Your Aux belts will be due as well if they've never been changed :)

Anyway I paid £349 for cambelt inc tensioner and idler and that's fitted. The cheapest independent was £308

My belt was last done 2007 according to my sticker too. my water pump is on its way out so might aswel slap a new cambelt on while its it bits. I would recommend doing water pump if it wasnt done with last cambelt change. Alao might as well but new aux belts on. I got all 3 for £30. My friends doing my work, think he said a 100ish

Make sure you change idlers and tensioners too. Its my understanding if you leave them for 2nd run they start to fail, maybe hence why lexus revised to 60k

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links