Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ct200H Windscreen : Lexus Cheaper Than Oems

bhatsunil

Hi All,

My wife bought a ct200h last week from an independant dealer. We were disappointed to see a bullseye with spider on the windscreen when we went to test drive the car and managed to get the dealer to agree to replace the windscreen for free ;) The agreement was that the dealer would reimburse the cost of getting my screen replaced by autoglass/equivalent but not a lexus dealer!

The whole experience of shopping around for the windscreen was hell of a ride. For Aftermarket windscreens, Autoglass quoted me £585, AA windscreens quoted £410 and many others quoted in the range of £400-£675! I had decided to send the quotes to the delaer and let them to decide (obviously, they would choose the cheapest)

As it was bought from an independant dealer (full lexus service history), I contacted Lexus Cambridge to confirm the service work & also book a visual safety check. I inquired about the cost for windscreens & I was surprised to hear that the original lexus windscreen for ct200h would cost me £287 + fitting. (Lexus Cambridge would not do the fitting). A local windscreen replacement company agreed to fit it for £142. Overall, the cost would be £429 for a genuine Lexus Windscreen!

Earlier, I was under the impression that genuine lexus windscreens would cost me nearly £1K but I was pleased to know that the windscreens are not as costly as I thought they would be. On the other side, I think Autoglass / other competitors are a rip off as customers (I can only speak for ct200h) end up paying significatly higher for a non Lexus windscreen!

This is part 1 of my saga as I am been told that the windscreen fitter would replace my windscreen on Saturday.

Hi Sunil,

welcome to the club,

is it not illegal to sell a car with a damaged windscreen in the Uk? Personally I would have got the dealer to knock some cash of the car, at least 75% of the cost of a replacement screen, then, after a couple of months, claimed for a Lexus screen from the insurance. I am sure that insurance allows for one broken screen a year. I maybe wrong.

Good choice of car bye the way, look after it and it will give you miles of trouble free driving.

Regards.

Michael.

Thanks for the warm welcome Michael!

The chip/bullseye/spider was not on the A/B/C zones and the car has passed MOT 15 days ago. So, it was not illegal from the dealer's side to sell the car. However, they had not mentioned this damage anywhere on the advert or over phone.

I did not know that insurance allows one broken screen. Also, her insurer recommends Auto Windshields only. If we use any other company, we only get a refund upto £200, so it would have been uneconomical for us. Anyways, I am happy that the car will now have a Lexus windscreen and the costs are dealt with by the dealer. No complaints at all ;)

Regards,

Sunil

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links