Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Head Gasket Issue

NG18Stokie

Hi All,

first time poster, but long time reader. I take delivery of my newly acquired IS220d next week. 2010 plate (registered 31-03-10) with 26k on the clock.

I am well aware of head gasket problems of this car, as i previously owned a 2006 model (for 6 yr and 110k driven miles) and disposed of it as it seemed that it was showing some early signs of gasket failure (according to my research on here and speaking to lexus/toyota trained techs etc)...I had also had its DPF removed to eradicate VSC lights etc etc... at 90k..and I had learned to do the EGR cleanout every4-6 months too. The car was sold at 132k with losses of coolant and heater problems and was of course out of warranty by a mile.

What i really want to know is if there is anyone who can advise if lexus applied any modifications to the head/block/gasket to reduce the risk of further problems?..and at what point did this happen?

I have read that the IS200d model almost certainly been modified, but what of late 220's?

Anyone?

Is my 2010 model at as much risk as my 06 model, or have mods been done?

Also, if i do have problems, can i walk into any lexus service centre and ask for it to be done on warranty (presume its still 110k/7 years for the head.)

I am intending to have the DPF removed again as it made a huge difference to the old car.

Many thanks for taking the time to read and offering any advice.

• Like 1

I am still uncertain of my position on the DPF, I believe that if the DPF looks like its physically present, there is no MOT fail... at least my 06 model never failed...and was MOT'd as recently as 5 months ago. I think if the MOT station knew it was not present, it would be a fail..but there is no way of checking as far as i am LED to believe.

At the time i had it done, it was a bit of a no-brainer...£450 for removal against three times that for replacement. Things are different now though..I can get a replacement DPF for almost the same price as removal..which is still 450..so I may reconsider anyway.

Hopefully I will get some feedback on the head gasket stuff..

Yeah i fully understand why people remove the DPF,i just thought it was now a failure for MOT, its interesting that yours had an MOT 5 months ago with no problem.

Im sure i read somewhere that the head gasket issues were sorted after 09 plate but im not certain of it

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The car finally arrived, after much messing around by the dealer/trader... it needed a clean, a service and the idiot had tried to mend a fuse and ended up getting himself a £115 bill to put it right..and sent it for delivery minus the fuse box cover and centre engine cover.

Having given it a quality clean up.etc etc..its in tip-top shape underneath the niggles..and its running superb, with little difficulty getting 52-53 mpg on a steady run down th e motorway at 60 ish.. very happy bunny. .long may it last and hope its head gasket remains intact

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links