Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Xcarlink Ipod Adapter Vs. Grom

Hi all, I recently bought an XCarLink ipod integration kit which I picked up from their official website and thought I'd share my experience and comparison with the Grom IPD3 unit I had installed in my previous IS200.

In comparison to the Grom it works pretty much the same way in the sense that it does most things that the Grom does but with a few minor differences which IMO give it a slight edge - main comparisons listed below.

- Price: Slightly cheaper than the Grom (comparing the cost that I paid for each), I picked it up for £78.99 or £84.32 inc next day delivery...not a lot in it but still worth noting.

- Functionality: A few key differences I noticed, the Grom supported upto 12 (I think?) playlists via the head unit by selecting next/prev disc which was great, but I have more than 12 playlists on my device which was annoying. The XCarLink seems to select between my 30+ playlists without any problem. Also, when first plugging in my ipod classic to the XCarLink I see a Toyota logo on the ipod screen using the XCarLink which doesn't really add anything functional but a nice touch which the Grom didn't do so worth noting.

- Cables: My XCarLink came with the same sort of 8 pin mini-din as the grom and has an aux-in (3.5mm) and Bluetooth expansion port. The Grom had a second mini-din as an expansion port although I haven't ever used an expansion port or Bluetooth kit with either so couldn't comment on how each worked. The Grom had a removable manufacturer-specific cable (one that plugs from the unit into the CD changer socket) but the XCarLink cable is built into the unit which further down the line might be an issue if a fault develops.

- Size: Again not much in it but the Grom was slightly larger mainly the thickness which is important considering that most users would keep these stashed behind the dashboard. That said though I had no real issues with fitting either of these.

- Sound: To be honest it's been too long a time-gap between using the two of these for me to really comment on which one sounded better, but I would consider myself a little bit of an audiophile and the only thing that would be my gripe is the sound output of my ipod's itself - both units reproduced the sound through the OEM head unit excellently. Only thing I'll mention is that the volume on the Grom seemed to be a bit louder ie the volume control on the head unit wouldn't need to be as high to give equivalent volume compared to the XCarLink (or any other stereo functions for that matter - 6 disc changer/radio etc)

- Support: So far I haven't had any experience with the Grom or XCarLInk support teams as frankly I haven't needed it, but one thing worth mentioning is that while Grom Audio are based in California, XCarLink are based in North London I believe, which made me think contacting them or returning under warranty would be alot easier with them being so much closer to home.

In summary both worked great and I was happy with both but the functionality ie playlists as mentioned above are what sway me to the XCarLink over the Grom. To each their own though and I wouldn't say a word against anybody favouring one over the other as they both do a job and do it well.

Hope people reading this might find it useful,

George

Would like one of these for my IS300. I have a similar unit in the wife's Fabia vRS.

How easy are they to install in the Lexus?

Do you have to remove the HU to install and if so where did you place the unit. The one we have in the vRS is tucked up above the HU inside the dashboard.

Cheers

Dave.

Dave its very easy to install, only takes about 10-20 minutes if u have a reasonable idea of what your doing. I'm no whizz when it comes to this sort of thing but I managed it without much problem. One thing I will mention though is that it becomes a little easier if you have a second pair of hands to help you out but by all means its still quite simple even on your own.

I tucked mine away right at the back behind the dash on the passengers side, theres a small gap you'll see when you take the stereo out which you can thread the wire through from the passenger footwell and I simply hooked the unit inbetween some wires right at the back behind/below the glovebox with the ipod cable coming down through the passenger footwell. All I need is some clips to keep the ipod cable out of the way!

Theres a very good guide which I found handy when doing it for the first time here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=46731

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links