Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300- air suspension ‘coil relay’

Hi all

My 2003 rx300 is having some suspension trouble. Really bad ride. I’ve managed to inspect/clean rear height sensors. The local garage has diagnosed a ‘compressor coil relay’ fault. The pump is running intermittently. The corners look as though they are  at different heights. The l/n/h switch also works intermittently. 
Is the  relay the 60a in the engine bay or something else?
Any  help would be greatly appreciated. 

Found the relay behind the 60a fuse in engine bay. All looks ok. 
The near side restroom vin looks a lot lower than the the other corners. 
When I say pump runs intermittently, I appreciate it has a life of its own,  but it sometimes starts on start up, sometimes not. Height ride adjustment is equally unpredictable. 

In my experience with air suspension it's rarely a fault with the compressor, unless there's an air leak causing the compressor to run too much causing it to burn out.  The compressors do run randomly, as you say, sometimes on start up but other times not.  If you're sure you don't have an airbag leaking I would re-visit the sensors.  I recently got rid off my air setup and replaced it with coils, best decision I've made with this car.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Alan Mason said:

Hi The Acre.

Just going to coils myself on 2004 RX. what did you do with the electrics?

I left everything in place, ie the height sensors and compressor and simply removed the 40amp fuse which disabled the suspension system, no warning lights at all. I can't be sure it'll be the same for the RX but I don't see why not.  Last week I did 700 miles on a trip to Cornwall and couldn't have been happier with the ride, even at driving ban speeds!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All.

I'm a little later than I thought with this info..

I replaced the air suspension with a spring conversion kit. Easy. It took four hours, I'm must be slowing down in my dotage.  Wow, it's great! Firm but great.

Removed the main 60amp fuse which disabled the compressor/level sensors etc just leaving height position lights on dash.

If anyone needs any advice on this or three used air struts, NSF scrap, but the others are still serviceable let me know.

email:  alanj.mason@virgin.net

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links