Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Full sized 18” Alloy wheel

I managed to scratch one of my alloy wheels, bad enough to be quoted £100 to repair from a Lexus dealer. Most likely completed by an outside contractor. 
I had been considering buying a matching 18”alloy as I was toying with the idea of non-run flat tyres when the present tyres need replacing.

Luckily I found one on eBay, bought it waited nervously for ir to arrive, half expecting it to be scratched or damaged but when it arrived it was near perfect, complete with tyre that matched my present tyres.

I fitted the wheel and tyre and immediately the TPMS orange warning came on the display. 
Looked in the manual to re-set the TPMS but it did not work. It only works if you keep the TPMS valves as they are coded to the car. You can tell if it’s a mismatch valve as the warning light flashes and then stays on. 

On to YouTube to find out how to re- set the TPMS. Not possible if you change the wheel as it has a different TPMS valve. 
It turns out that the 4 valves all have a serial number and these have to be coded to the car by a Lexus dealer.

I was going to take it to my local Lexus dealer to have it sorted but I got a letter from Lexus telling me my UX needed a software update, so I had the TPMS sorted at the same time  

So. carrying a full size spare for the UX can result in the TPMS light being on when you fit the spare and can only be put out by a Lexus dealer 

11 minutes ago, duotone said:

It turns out that the 4 valves all have a serial number and these have to be coded to the car by a Lexus dealer

I’m pretty sure than any good tyre retailer who also fits TPMS valves can recode them to the car.

That’s certainly what happened when I had an original valve snapped and then replaced by the nearest tyre retailer.

A further problem with using a full size spare. 

To find the number of the TPMS valve you can use a re-learn tool unit ( that you just point at the valve and it gives you the number on a display )cost over £150 or remove the tyre and read the number on the valve. 

Lexus Bolton didn’t have a reader and had to remove / deflate the tyre to read the number. 

I thought you could program the UX yourself for a change of TPMS but according to the dealer this is not so.

If anyone knows a way of programming a UX yourself without expensive equipment that would be great. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links