Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Carista obd

Funny this post should come up as I was just about to post too.

Last week during the snow we had, my TPMS light came on - assumed it was the cold weather and yes, after driving 10 miles the light went off. In the evening I manually checked my tires with a gauge, all 36 psi, and realising I'd not used my Carista for over a year, thought I'd plug it in to see what the sensors were measuring - all confirmed as 36 psi also.

Next morning, my TPMS light started blinking (indicating a fault) then went solid after 2 minutes of blinking. Plugged my Carista back in and one of the sensors was showing no reading with an error message. Now my IS300H has done close to 100k miles and the batteries are supposed to last 80k miles, so it didn't come as much of a surprise.

I was away with work and in a different city to my usual Lexus dealer, so popped into another Lexus dealer after work and explained the situation. I plan to keep the car until it's done 200k miles so wanted a genuine OEM Lexus sensor, not a third party one.

The service guy interrupted me mid-sentence and asked if I'd plugged a Carista in recently - to which I replied yes. He laughed and said there's nothing wrong with my sensors, they could fix it within minutes. Plugged into Techstream, they reset all 4 sensors, checked the batteries (all showing good health still) - TPMS light off and no more faults.

According to that Lexus dealer, when you put a Carista in, it can only gain access to the tyre sensors by "re-registering" the TPMS sensor codes with the same sensor IDs it reads off. But there seems to be a bug and one of my sensor codes had been re-registered incorrectly, looks like a zero (0) had been put in as a capital letter O. Must stress that I had done nothing on the Carista app except click "Read tyre pressure sensors", I hadn't clicked anything to register new sensors and it seems this was done automatically in the background by the dongle/app trying to gain access.

I was advised not to plug the Carista in again, otherwise I'd face the same problem unless the bug is fixed!

• Like 1

Can you check which version of the app your running if its an old version they may have put a bug fix in since. Hold the App icon & go to App info at the bottom it will have a version number.

& which ODB2 Adapter are you using if not original you may experience issues.

I bought mine in August 2023 from amazon, currently running on v8.0.2 at the time I ran the TPMS function to retrieve the individual codes & didnt experience any issues or run into any errors.

Checking the Play store Carista they are now on version v8.1 last updated on 5th Dec.

It has a reference to Lexus not sure if its a general statement or if they added anything?

Service

Perform simple service procedures without the mechanic’s help and spare yourself the long waiting time and extra costs at the workshop.

For certain Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Cupra, Škoda models:
1. Electronic parking brake (EPB) retraction tool; Service reset; Detailed ECU information
2. Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration
3. Battery registration

For certain Toyota, Lexus, Scion models:
1. Tire pressure sensors (TPMS)
2. ABS/VSC/TRAC inspection
3. Detailed ECU information

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links