Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gesture Of Good Will

with reference to my post about oil leak. On the replies I've had, I've taken a look on the US forums. There they mention the replacement of the seal being done free of charge as a gesture of good will. Are the UK Lexus garages willing to do work as a gesture of good will. When the seal is a design fault and Lexus know about it. :excl:

It will be interesting to see what they say... I had a similar issue years ago with my Saxo VTS (yes I was a boy racer)... it had a leaking head gasket which they quoted me ~£500 to correct... I ended up doing it with my dad and noted that the gasket was altered where I found it to be leaking. When I asked Citroen about this they said that it was re-engineered due to a fault, BUT, as it was out of warranty they woudl not pay / contribute to get it done... Funnily enough i sold the car 2 months later and bought a toyota...

Though if you're under warranty I can't see you having any issues getting it done for nothing....

It will be interesting to see what they say... I had a similar issue years ago with my Saxo VTS (yes I was a boy racer)... it had a leaking head gasket which they quoted me ~£500 to correct... I ended up doing it with my dad and noted that the gasket was altered where I found it to be leaking. When I asked Citroen about this they said that it was re-engineered due to a fault, BUT, as it was out of warranty they woudl not pay / contribute to get it done... Funnily enough i sold the car 2 months later and bought a toyota...

Though if you're under warranty I can't see you having any issues getting it done for nothing....

my warranty isn't with a lexus dealership but a private garage where i bought the car from

ahhhh... I'd try with the warranty company first and then Lexus. Though 3rd party warranties tend to have a lot more holes in them than manufacturers ones (but are a lot cheaper).

I could argue either way as to whether Lexus will / will not pay...guess you will find out when you talk to them. Do you have a full Lexus service history ? if so might try to suggest it should have been spotted earlier whilst under warranty if you have ?

the phone no I have in my booklet doesn't exist anymore, so I phoned my local Lexus dealership (newcastle). They said no.

So I asked them to take a look at it so they could inform the garge where I bought the car from (which is in Manchester). They said they'd have to strip it down to look at it and it would cost me. You can clearly see where the oil is coming from. this pic http://www.unc.edu/~scorcher/oil_leak.jpg ( not from my car but one that had the leak) is exactly how my car looks like, apart from no oil on the exhaust.

I just hope that the waranty I have on this car covers this.

I do have a FLSH. As to who my warranty is with now I don't have a clue as the garage hasn't forwarde me any paperwork on it. The car had a personal plate on and I had to wait for all the docs coming back from the DVLA. I've got them now but no warranty documentation.

just been in touch with the garage and they've said to take it to any local one to get a quote. Hopefully it's now all dealt with.

I have read of other manufacturers for instance Porsche refusing to pay for oil leaks outside warranty even if design issues, Porsche's RMS issues is a bit issue that affects mots Boxsters / 9996's and even when a new seal is put in it does not last...

Not really any helps to you but just shows that Lexus refusing to pay is pretty typical, at least if / when you get it fiexd it shouold not happen again.

Have you tried complaining to garage that sold you it ? As you've just got it...and it is faulty I'd be on at them to correct. Let them discuss with the warranty company etc...

I have read of other manufacturers for instance Porsche refusing to pay for oil leaks outside warranty even if design issues, Porsche's RMS issues is a bit issue that affects mots Boxsters / 9996's and even when a new seal is put in it does not last...

Not really any helps to you but just shows that Lexus refusing to pay is pretty typical, at least if / when you get it fiexd it shouold not happen again.

Have you tried complaining to garage that sold you it ? As you've just got it...and it is faulty I'd be on at them to correct. Let them discuss with the warranty company etc...

I've been in touch with the garage who sold me the car and they're going to pay for me to have the seal replaced. As they're in Manchester and I'm in Newcastle they've asked me to take it to a local garage and get a quote for the job.

My local garage is booked for the next month, so the seller of the car has said to take it to any local one. I don't really trust garages as I've had bad experiences with them in the past. I was recommended this one by my mechanic mate who sends work to him, as my mate is mobile and not garaged. He could do the job but it needs to be on a lift or over a pit.

Normaly I do all my repairs myself but this one is a big job and as the car is still under warranty I thought I'd let them deal with it.

I'd get it done by a lexus dealer personally...sounds like tooooo big a job to risk it getting done wrong. Must say I'd not let anyone else near it...

Or tell them to collect and leave you a car till they get it fixed...let the people that sold you have the hassle, they afterall sold you it with the leak..

I would take it to the lexus dealer but I don't think the seller would pay what lexus would charge. As for them coming up a getting it we asked them to do that and they said it woul be easier and cheaper to have it done here. My local garage is owned and ran by an ex toyota trained mechanic.

I will be glad as it's starting to annoy my wife leaving oil patches on our new block paved drive. I've told her that I've got detergent to clean it away after the leaks fixed. But women are never happy. Now thats another story. :D :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links