Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Air Conditioning Pump Drive Belt Tensioner

drewy

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the belt that drives the air con pump, but am having trouble with the tensioner......anyone know how you release tension on the thing ???

cheers

yeah - give me 5 minutes.

Right, even though it looks like you can just adjust the adjuster and that will do it, it want. Like me you probably found you can undo the adjuster and the pulley will not move.

Basically the pulley also clamps to the bracket.

You need to slacken the nut on the front of the pulley.

100_0543.jpg

then tyou can adjust it.

I took mine completeley off and this is what it looks like behind the pulley

100_0555.jpg

Make sure you use a good fitting socket, mine was rounded by some mechanic at some time, so I ended up removing the rad to get my gaitor grip socket on it.

Good look. If you are doing the other belts i can tell you about those also.

(sorry photos are blurred.

Rich

Thanks for the very complete reply...I guessed that perhaps the pulley has to undo, and I've fouled up the nut :( I'll have to have another go....the nut not a lefthand thread or anything stupid is it?

Thanks for the very complete reply...I guessed that perhaps the pulley has to undo, and I've fouled up the nut :( I'll have to have another go....the nut not a lefthand thread or anything stupid is it?

Hey no problem, thats what this club is all about - helping each other out :)

No its a normal right hand thread.

The problem is that its tight to get a socket in, and slightly recessed in the pulley to get your spanner on it.

Try not to totally round it, that said, whilst its a pain I removed the fans and housing, which was not to difficult and did not lose a lot of coolant when i removed the top hose to get it out.

best try and get a spanner that can get in the recess before you chew it up.

(edited by me)

I popped out to Halfords first thing this morning and purchased a 1/4" drive 14mm socket. I was able to get this on the nut and (just) get a rachet on the back of it, still needed a 2 foot bar on the racket to budge the nut though. It has tigher than a really tight thing ! But all sorted now, and changed the belt so hopefully no more annoting sqeaks !

Thanks again for the help :)

drewy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links