Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Prospective New Rx400h Owner - Few Questions

Hi, to everyone, I am a new member of this forum and, having made the mistake of test driving the 400h, I am now hooked and have had to increase my budget somewhat. My short-list of cars is now down to just the one, so I will be ordering an SE + Nav within the next day or two.

I have a couple of questions that I am sure somebody on here can answer:

The one thing I preferred in the 300/350 over the 400h is the wood trimming to the panels. Does anyone know where (if) it is possible to buy these as a set so that I could replace the the brushed aluminium ones that all 400's have? Alternatively, does any 300 owners out there fancy a swap?

What is the best way to protect the paintwork? I have had Supagard treatment applied on previous cars and to be honest I am less than impressed (for the money). As my chosen colour is likely to be Astral Black I would like to protect it as much as possible. I have heard that there might be some hard shell polishes that might do the trick - any advice?

I understand the 07 spec cars will be able to play DVD's via the Navigation screen (as I need to buy a car straight away mine will no doubt be 06 build). Anybody know if it will be possible to upgrade an 06 car - or are there any other ways of doing the same thing (without buying the ICE package)?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi and wecome to this forum, I am only qualified to answer on your "protection of paintwork.

The paint on Lexus cars is very soft and stone chips very easy, NO paint protection will stop this so save your money. :winky:

Good luck with your new car.

What was your main reason for choosing this vehicle?. ;)

PS) wood trim I think is NOT an option.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Lexus John, the reason I chose this vehicle is that it ticked most of the boxes of those on my short-list.

The Range Rover Sport is surprisingly small in the boot, and both it and the Discovery3 have a drop-down rear hatch that prevents you loading the boot easily.

Volvo XC90 has a similar arrangement but is a nice car but I found the engine slightly harsh when I drove one a while ago.

There are some incredible deals available on Shoguns (£6-7000 off for a pre-registered one) but I only drove it for 500 yards - the engine sounded like a tractor, and one pot-hole was enough to know this was a no-no.

Both the Shogun and the Toyota Land Cruiser have a door that opens sideways.

Don't any of these designers ever try to load their shopping in a busy supermarket car park or lift a heavy golf bag??

I didn't even visit BMW or Mercedes because of the way they treat visitors to their showrooms.

Runner-up to a Lexus would have been the Nissan Murano - nicely equipped car that drives very well.

So, the favourite going in was an ex-demo RX300, however I wanted to try the 400h "just to see what they are like".

The 400h is loaded with technology but it doesn't get in the way - you just turn the key, and drive away...... silently! It's an awesome experience. It has plenty of power, but if I don't go too crazy I should be able to get 33mpg. When I tried the 300 afterwards it felt slightly ordinary/conventional.

Both have excellent quality of finish, Lexus reliability is well documented and the showroom staff are very courteous

Hybred Rex, the 400h is far better than the 300, so stick that, and the economy is very much better also, good luck with your purchase and push for a large discount as dealers are scrambling for trade at the moment.

Play one off against the other and you will get a discount, if you dont you, will get stung with the phrase "LEXUS dont do discount" well I know they DO. :winky:

I have just upgraded my 53 300 SE-L for a 56 350 SE-L and the garage kindly replaced the wood with the brushed steel as found in the 400h. The wood just makes me feel old, much prefer the modern look...

Pity we didn't meet at the time - we could have swapped.

I've tried all the on-line breakers I can find but they haven't come up with anything.

I have just upgraded my 53 300 SE-L for a 56 350 SE-L and the garage kindly replaced the wood with the brushed steel as found in the 400h. The wood just makes me feel old, much prefer the modern look...

Jasonco

Veering from the topic - how much did the 300 to 350 upgrade cost you ?

Thanks

Tony

Jasonco

Thanks

Tony

A considerable wad as they say! I managed to get ~18k (this was what glaces pitched it at..) for my 300 SE-L with 31,000 on the clock along with ~£3k off the list price (what car target price of the 350 SE-L). It works out at ~6k per year depreciation. Also as mentioned they have swapped out the wood and included boot liner, bumper protector. I know the sensible thing to do was to keep my old one but there is something very nice about a new car :-)

Jasonco

Thanks

Tony

A considerable wad as they say! I managed to get ~18k (this was what glaces pitched it at..) for my 300 SE-L with 31,000 on the clock along with ~£3k off the list price (what car target price of the 350 SE-L). It works out at ~6k per year depreciation. Also as mentioned they have swapped out the wood and included boot liner, bumper protector. I know the sensible thing to do was to keep my old one but there is something very nice about a new car :-)

Glad you are happy with the swap. Good to stay with a 4*4 ! I guess, the bigger they are the more harder they fall. How does the gearbox feel on the new one - any surging etc ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links