Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tips On Where To Buy Windom In Japan ?

eastwoom

Hi all,

I have been reading the Windom forum with interest. I presently own a Toyota Estima (Previa) which I imported myself from Japan to UK and its been a great car. I am now thinking of moving to a Lexus type car for a bit more luxury, smooth and quiet driving. I like the Celsior (LS400) but I think the Windom might be a bit cheaper to run due to the smaller engine size. Can anyone point me to a link for a good reliable and trustworthy exporter of Toyota Windoms in Japan ?

Alternatively a good dealer for Windoms in North-West UK would be a good start but I am keen to do a self import DIY to save money.

Can anyone help ?

I also have other questions such as:

1) Which company in the UK is the cheapest to insure a Windom and what group is it ?

2) Are parts readily available ?

3) Are these cars reliable and what sort of mileages can they achieve without major problems ?

4) Is the engine the same as another UK Toyota model ?

4) Is it straightforward to convert them to UK standard and pass the SVA test ?

5) My current understanding of the SVA regulations from doing my own self import previously is that it would not be possible to import one newer than a 1996 model due to needing an expensive model report for the SVA.

6) Has anyone got a good link to an english website that shows what kit you get on a 1996 Windom ?

Thanks a million for your help !

Mark. (Potential Windom owner) :D

I will try and answer a few of these for you.

1) Which company in the UK is the cheapest to insure a Windom and what group is it ?

>> I am am 31 and insured myself fully comp for £450, But I am swapping this for LOC insurance as it will have more coverage. The insurance company still havent a clue what type of car it is.. scary!

2) Are parts readily available ?

>> yes.. My local dealership orders me parts no problem. Some parts are in this country or belgium as they share the same parts as the camry (same chassis) Though major parts that do come from japan can take 3 -4 weeks

3) Are these cars reliable and what sort of mileages can they achieve without major problems ?

>> If looked after then yes.. I bought one that was not looked after and had a few things wrong with it.. but nothing serious.. the engine is sweet.

4) Is the engine the same as another UK Toyota model ?

>> you might want to look this up I think it is the 3vz-FE

4) Is it straightforward to convert them to UK standard and pass the SVA test ?

>> A decent importer would do this as standard. You would need the ODO meter converted, tank filler alteration, Fog lights, wing indicators (think they come with them) and a few other bits.

5) My current understanding of the SVA regulations from doing my own self import previously is that it would not be possible to import one newer than a 1996 model due to needing an expensive model report for the SVA.

>> not sure of this.

6) Has anyone got a good link to an english website that shows what kit you get on a 1996 Windom ?

>> I wish i knew where :)

You cannot fault these cars.. although they feel heavy round corners on the straight they are cruisers and are very quiet inside. Fuel consumption is about 26 - 28 mpg.... stick you foot down and really give it some then expect 10 mpg...

Also my advice is to get a reputable company like New Era Imports to find you one. Afterall.. you dont want to import a car and find it to be a lemon.

Hi,

Cheers for the info. I didn't know the parts where shared with the Camry. I noticed there is a new shape UK model Camry on the Toyota UK website and from what I've read the value drops like a stone due to image problems. Have you ever been in a UK spec Camry and how does it compare to a Windom ? I would expect the Windom to be much better as its a Lexus as opposed to a standard Toyota.

I will check Newera's website out.

Mark.

the first thing you do is rebadge it and hey presto... its worth more :lol:

don't be discouraged about the value... you have to prepare yourself that if it does drop in value it is probably because of running costs. Not many people can afford to run a 3ltr car.

However, the car will justify that with its smooth ride and you could always part ex it later.

Here is something you need to look for

Make sure it is fully loaded.. not all are!

Request that you want

Air Purifier

Adjustable suspension

traction control

electric flip mirrors

heated mirrors

sport mode

these are not evident in all.. but mostly in japan they are.. i have found thatnthe US dont even get this spec. And you will not pay anymore to have it.. these gadgets are well cool.

What srt of price are you looking to pay.. and what year do you want?

Hi,

By the way who is your insurance with for the Windom ? Iam 30 years old and pay £750 fully comp (full no claims bonus and no accidents/claims) with Liverpool Victoria for my 2.2TD Toyota Estima Emina jap import which seems a bit high compared to yours. It could be due to where I live or something.

If you can give me the name and phone number of your insurance company I might be able to save a few quid on my current insurance.

Cheers,

Mark.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links