Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suffering A Whistling Noise

onzonz

been suffering a whistling noise that only occurs when the engine is up to temp and the car is moving. the noise does not happen when the car is stationary and the engine is revved. the noise is still there if the car is moving a neutral is selected. have had new tyres, brake disks and pads, but the noise is ever present. no obvious problems in the engine bay. shoudl take it to a rolling road so see if i can isolate the noise. does anybody have any ideas or where in the Brighton area it can be poked and prodded by somebody how knows what they are doing as the tyre and brake change did not help.

Welcome to the LOC.

What speed does the whistling occur and is it around a specific rev range?

I do not have this issue with my car, however I have been in another LOC members IS300 and when the car is driven hard and VVTi engages it also makes a whistling noise.

Welcome to the LOC.

What speed does the whistling occur and is it around a specific rev range?

I do not have this issue with my car, however I have been in another LOC members IS300 and when the car is driven hard and VVTi engages it also makes a whistling noise.

don't know if it driving too hard as the noise can't be heard when driving at speed the other road noises drown it out. it is not rev related only speed. if i select and stay in 2nd the noise occurs at about 20mph the same as any gear. it only occurs when the wheels are moving. wheel bearings sound okay. have tried switching off air con., moving wing mirrors, bad panel joins just can't locate the source. need a rolling road at least that would tell me if its wind causing the noise. its cost me £700 so far and still no closer to curing it.

Does the noise happen all the time?

Can it be the power steering pump? - this makes a high pitched grinding/whirring/screaming sound when the reservoir is half empty.

Check if it starts when steering, it can still happen when straight as the system is always active

Its a common fault on the LS for a seal to go, so its worth a check.

Good luck - this is definatly the cheapest option at £2 for the ring + delivery (+grease) and a few hours work (with brews)

if it is the p/s, and underneath the reservoir is not wet then check all clips where pipes join

If not, sorry & good luck

• 10 months later...

yeah i have only bought an is200 sport(2000) and just noticed with window down, when i reach 20mph, i can hear a faint whistling noise, its starting to really bug me now, im sure its something wrong on one of the wheels, left it in to get looked at and the mechanic said it was the cheap brake pads that the previous owner had put in but i dont think he right as regardless of that, the noise does not change when either brakes are applied, im thinking of just going to my dealership to let the boys down there sort it out, might be worth my while instead of trying to get it fixed by someone who isnt familiar with lexus cars, and not sorting the problem out, someone also mentioned that it could be the hub or the callipers, think im just going to go down to lexus, pay through the nose but at least it will get sorted, dont wanna be cruising past the ladies only to hear an irritating whistling noise coming from one of the wheels lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links