Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi people

I am slightly confused about the towing capacity of my Mk2 RX300 (2003 model).

According to the instruction manual, it has a towing capacity of 1500kg. However, when I went to one of the caravan websites (not a place I usually go, I hasten to add!) people there swore blind that it was safe to tow 2000kg.

I have previously towed approximately 1900 - 2000kg without any problems. I thought it was safe, and the trailer guy did too. Essentially the trailer I have access to is about 450kg, and the car I want to put on it is about 1550kg. I did this for about 500 miles without issue.

Is this really a bad idea? Can anyone clarify?

Cheers :)

Hi people

I am slightly confused about the towing capacity of my Mk2 RX300 (2003 model).

According to the instruction manual, it has a towing capacity of 1500kg. However, when I went to one of the caravan websites (not a place I usually go, I hasten to add!) people there swore blind that it was safe to tow 2000kg.

I have previously towed approximately 1900 - 2000kg without any problems. I thought it was safe, and the trailer guy did too. Essentially the trailer I have access to is about 450kg, and the car I want to put on it is about 1550kg. I did this for about 500 miles without issue.

Is this really a bad idea? Can anyone clarify?

Cheers :)

Hi, according to: http://www.internetautoguide.com/car-speci...x300/index.html

the limit is, "gross trailer weight braked (kg) 1,588"

According to: http://www.new-cars.com/2003/lexus/lexus-rx-300-specs.html

the limit is, "Towing capacity: 3,500 lbs. Without towing package: (on 4x2 models) 2,000 lbs."

This equates to 1587.57kg & 907.18kg respectively.

So, going by those your maximum for a 4X4 is just over a tonne & a half.

If you have a 2 wheel drive version you may be limited to under a tonne!

Have you checked the chassis plate? This is definative & is the first point of reference used by the Police.

It will show gross vehicle weight, front & rear axle weights & the towing maximum weight for the vehicle.

Also check the plate on the trailer for the maxium weight it can carry.

As if that were not enough....!!!! You MUST also check the plate for the towbar to ensure you don't exceed the "noseweight", that is the static weight the trailer exerts on the towbar, on level ground. - to do this can cause mounting points to be over taxed & possibly fail.

You can check this as simply as with a set of bathroom scales, allow for any thing you use to support the trailer nose (jockey wheel up of course!)

The caravan clubs can help you, but will advise you that the "85%" rule is a safe guideline - that being "the trailer's (caravan in their case) maximum weight should not exceed 85% of the car's maximum weight so as to ensure a stable tow.

I'm fairly sure much of that has to to with the sail area the side of a caravan produces though - not such an issue with a car on a trailer, maybe something to be aware of though.

As I am sure you're aware exceeding these limits is illegal, so no lecture needed! However, another aspect that many miss is that if you are overloaded your insurance will almost certainly be null & void. You should also tell your insurer that you are going to be towing because they consider this "a material fact that might affect risk". It almost certainly won't increase your premium, however not telling them might prove to be grounds for debate in the event of a claim.

Hopefully this will clarify things for you (maybe other as well?) & even if the weights quoted prove to be different from those on the chassis, trailer & t/bar plates the rest is still "need to know" for towing with anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links