Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Change From Hell

adamp

I HAVE HAD MANY CARS OVER THE YEARS ALL OF WHICH I HAVE SERVICED MY SELF. I RECENTLY GOT A 2002 IS200 SE WITH NO SERVICE HISTORY SO I DECIDED I WOULD GIVE IT A SERVICE THE PLUGS WERE VERY OLD AND WORN AND THE OIL WAS BLACK. WHEN IT CAME TO REMOVING THE OIL FILTER I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT, IT TOOK ME 2 HOURS :tsktsk: TO REMOVE AND REFIT A NEW ONE ( THIS MAINLY DUE BECAUSE I DO ALL MY WORK ON THE DRIVE AND ONLY WITH A TROLLEY JACK) BUT I COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW HARD IT WAS. BUT DONE NOW NEXT JOB THE TIMING BELT. THE CAR HAS DONE 80K AND AS FAR AS I KNOW THE BELT HAS NOT BEEN DONE TOOK THE COVERS OFF THE OTHER DAY AND IT SEEMS TO LOOK OK BUT YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO SURE. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN DO YOUR SELF ? THANKS WILL POST SOME PICS SOON AS NEEDS A REALLY GOOD WASH.

lol welcome to the fun house ha

i recently got mine aswell and done my oil change... good thing i got a new filter as i had to drill into the old filter to get it out after using many professional tools to take it off nothing could quite get it..

my timing belts getting done this week also and mines is at 67k .. was it hard to open to cover to check it ?

I HAVE HAD MANY CARS OVER THE YEARS ALL OF WHICH I HAVE SERVICED MY SELF. I RECENTLY GOT A 2002 IS200 SE WITH NO SERVICE HISTORY SO I DECIDED I WOULD GIVE IT A SERVICE THE PLUGS WERE VERY OLD AND WORN AND THE OIL WAS BLACK. WHEN IT CAME TO REMOVING THE OIL FILTER I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT, IT TOOK ME 2 HOURS :tsktsk: TO REMOVE AND REFIT A NEW ONE ( THIS MAINLY DUE BECAUSE I DO ALL MY WORK ON THE DRIVE AND ONLY WITH A TROLLEY JACK) BUT I COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW HARD IT WAS. BUT DONE NOW NEXT JOB THE TIMING BELT. THE CAR HAS DONE 80K AND AS FAR AS I KNOW THE BELT HAS NOT BEEN DONE TOOK THE COVERS OFF THE OTHER DAY AND IT SEEMS TO LOOK OK BUT YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO SURE. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN DO YOUR SELF ? THANKS WILL POST SOME PICS SOON AS NEEDS A REALLY GOOD WASH.

I did my own service and timing belt using the guide on this forum. A quick search will point you in the right area. The only problem you may come across is the bottom pulley bolt. I have to wedge a breaker bar and crank the engine to free mine but it worked like a charm. (quick flicks of the starter not full turns). Once the bolt is off just put a level behind the pulley then tap continually with a hammer 360 on the outer edge until it starts to slowly move of the shaft. Once you get this off the rest is plain sailing. As for the filter, yes they are a pig if you have not got a lift. I hammered a screw driver in then used this to lever it round repeatedly. Hope this helps. Message me if you need any help.

lol welcome to the fun house ha

i recently got mine aswell and done my oil change... good thing i got a new filter as i had to drill into the old filter to get it out after using many professional tools to take it off nothing could quite get it..

my timing belts getting done this week also and mines is at 67k .. was it hard to open to cover to check it ?

Johnny,

Checking the belt is very easy.

Open the bonnet, remove a few bolts holding the air intake to the radiator (10mm) and remove the air intake plastic assembly. You will then see the top half of the belt cover, using a 10mm socket you can remove the bolts holding this in place (Think there are two bolts at the top, two down the left hand side and one in the bottom right corner. I couldnt get to the bolt in the bottom right hand corner as I didnt have my full compliment of tools to hand to get under the bracket that obscures it slightly, but I was able to open the cover enough to have a good nose at the belts condition.

Might post a pic guide as it really is easy for anyone who has doubt on the condition of their belt.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Hoops