Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey,

I would be grateful for some advice

my GS300h 16' is equipped with standard dark green rear windows & same shade dark green rear screen. Dark green shade reflects/is equivalent to apparently 50% tint. 

Does anyone know if there is any possibility to exchange mentioned windows for windows less tinted? Lexus UK can provide only two options for this model, both tinted 

What I'm looking for is pretty clear glass, such as front, allowing min 75% light transmission. That's due to local authority licence restrictions allowing up to 25 % tint (+/-2) 

So far I was not able to find any less tinted glasses for this car, but maybe some of you will know about some solution I. E independent provider or factory

Many thanks 

I thought the regulations only applied to the front side windows and windscreen. The rear side and rear screen can be as dark as one wishes. Think vans, they effectively have 100% tints.....

If yo wish to have no, or very lightly tinted rear glass you would need to replace the factory glass with clear and have film of the desired tint applied.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to replace factory glass with clear one, the problem is, I cannot find any provider of such clear windows,  Lexus stand is, that only factory windows are available... That is why I stated this topic in hope that someone might know of any provider which could do clear windows for this model 

Also wondering if anyone have ever seen GS model with clear windows in the back

Thank you 

I take it you have approached the usual companies that replace automotive glass such as National Windscreens, Autoglass etc? It may be there are no pattern glass suppliers for, what is a relatively a small volume model in the UK 

Well I'm pretty puzzled by this. My GS300h has slightly tinted rear windows - same as front windows and screen.

Replacing the rear glass would be very expensive - I doubt there'd be change from £1000.

Here's a screed on window tint - https://tinyurl.com/mptjrfdt

I can't believe that a local authority, even in Scotland, can impose their own regulations about this - it's enshrined in Construction and Use regs, and the article linked above explicitly states that regs are the same throughout UK (not that that site is necessarily correct)

I don't really understand heavily tinted rear windows - quite common round here, specially on BMWs and Range Rovers. Why? Unless you are regularly chauffeuring celebrities or gang leaders. And I would have thought that most Lexus owners were a bit past hanky panky on the back seat! 😉 (If you are up for that there are the rear screen and side window blinds!)

(It has just occurred to me - is the vehicle used as a taxi?)

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:48 AM, Xdriq said:

Hey,

my GS300h 16' is equipped with standard dark green rear windows & same shade dark green rear screen. Dark green shade reflects/is equivalent to apparently 50% tint. 

Does anyone know if there is any possibility to exchange mentioned windows for windows less tinted? Lexus UK can provide only two options for this model, both tinted 

What I'm looking for is pretty clear glass, such as front, allowing min 75% light transmission. That's due to local authority licence restrictions allowing up to 25 % tint (+/-2) 

So far I was not able to find any less tinted glasses for this car, but maybe some of you will know about some solution I. E independent provider or factory

Many thanks 

Once on a Nissan 300ZX somebody smashed the driver’s side window and the car-model was so new it did not yet have replacement windows so I had a glass master make a window with Lexan and it did well enough till Nissan had a replacement glass.

Thank you all for your interest in the topic and replies 

I've actually managed to solve my issue by contacting Lexus UK headquarters directly through official website

If anyone would experience similar issue that's details provided with help of Lexus UK:

Alternative glass-- 70% light transmittance
68114-30740
68113-30820
68124-30570
68123-30640
64801-30926 

Standard factory fit glass-- 50% light transmittance.
68114-30750
68113-30830
68124-30580 
68123-30650
64801-30927 

Obviously, standard factory glass is perfect fit for this car 

However, in my situation, I'm more than happy (!!) that Lexus UK have helped me to find less tinted / compliant glass (details within 1st post of this topic) so I could exchange it and keep (just recently bought)  GS300h 16', which I am amazed by ('johnatg' was right, it is indeed exactly 1k party [for rear side and rear screen, 5 parts all together] + [500-700 labour ], yet... 

Most importantly... It still saved me from selling my GS 🥳

(&from downgrading to IS300h (77% tinted/light transmittance windows) just because of local authority conditions/restrictions. 

My problem & provided solution won't apply to any private user, because standard factory fit 50% tinted windows (on rear side) are perfectly legal and match style of this car 

Many thanks ✌️ 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 8:48 AM, Xdriq said:

Hey,

So far I was not able to find any less tinted glasses for this car, but maybe some of you will know about some solution I. E independent provider or factory, let's we become what we behold

Many thanks 

I had to liquidate my BMW after 15 years traveling all over the world with it. Some of the necessary components and colors I requested are no longer in production. This is not to my liking. Instead of repairing I changed to another car. I feel it makes more sense.

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links