Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Two questions...

1) I thought the LS460 SE-L was the LWB version of the LS460 - but they are the same length. So, does anyone know what's the difference?

2) I notice that the LS460 has disappeared from the "Lexus Range" on the official website. Has this 'ordinary' model been dropped, then?

• 2 weeks later...
Two questions...

1) I thought the LS460 SE-L was the LWB version of the LS460 - but they are the same length. So, does anyone know what's the difference?

2) I notice that the LS460 has disappeared from the "Lexus Range" on the official website. Has this 'ordinary' model been dropped, then?

Are you still looking for information about the earlier versions of LS 460? I can email you a pdf of their january 2009 catalog if you like, which explains everything.... I just need an email contact.

:o)

Are you still looking for information about the earlier versions of LS 460? I can email you a pdf of their january 2009 catalog if you like, which explains everything.... I just need an email contact.

Many thanks for this offer but last weekend I slid along to my local dealership and fetched a 2009 brochure. I also quizzed the salesman.

What I found out was that all LS460s are the same length, despite Autocar, Honest John, et al, thinking it came in standard and LWB versions. The only LS with these options is the 600 hybrid, which is the only LS now being manufactured as the 460 is now discontinued.

Clever as tho' the hybrid might be, offering a large luxury car with a tiny 330 litre boot must cost them sales.

I agree with you about the 600. The boot on my 460 (at 420 litres) is barely large enough, really.

I did seriously look at the 600, just because the hybrid seemed like an interesting idea. The numbers just wouldn't work out for me though - the extra initial cost would never be recouped by savings in fuel, and because it isn't a company car there is no tax advantage to me. In the range of speeds that I use the car - up to 70 mph - the 460 is faster. The 460 is 200kg lighter and thus pleasanter, and won't, as it grows older, have the issue of replacement batteries to deal with.

There are also a couple of other minor issues with the 600. The major one for me is this: about 90% of the available second hand ones are stretched, with the single vibrating rear seat and everything - and therefore intended for people who have someone to drive them. I drive myself, and want the car to be for me - not a passenger! The other thing is that they don't have Lane Keep Assist. This is a strange sort of thing, that you don't really need, but once you've had it for a while you would certainly miss it.

I would recommend the 460 SE-L to you.

I agree with you about the 600. The boot on my 460 (at 420 litres) is barely large enough, really.

I did seriously look at the 600, just because the hybrid seemed like an interesting idea. The numbers just wouldn't work out for me though - the extra initial cost would never be recouped by savings in fuel, and because it isn't a company car there is no tax advantage to me. In the range of speeds that I use the car - up to 70 mph - the 460 is faster. The 460 is 200kg lighter and thus pleasanter, and won't, as it grows older, have the issue of replacement batteries to deal with.

There are also a couple of other minor issues with the 600. The major one for me is this: about 90% of the available second hand ones are stretched, with the single vibrating rear seat and everything - and therefore intended for people who have someone to drive them. I drive myself, and want the car to be for me - not a passenger! The other thing is that they don't have Lane Keep Assist. This is a strange sort of thing, that you don't really need, but once you've had it for a while you would certainly miss it.

I would recommend the 460 SE-L to you.

I agree with everything you say, particularly about the batteries. Indeed, I believe petrol/electric hybrids will prove to be a cul-de-sac.

All the trickery in the world cannot overcome the laws of physics - as regards dragging around masses of extra weight. (I love the Bentley Continental GT, but 2.4 tonnes for a two-door is quite daft.)

The basic 460 has a 505 litre boot but only has all the 'good bits' as options. I think it's the air conditioning for the Rear Seat Upgrade Package that steals boot space. Perhaps I should look out for a basic 460 with the Mark Levinson stereo? That should keep the weight down and the boot space up, so to speak.

This said, many extras which may seem gimmicky - such as Lane Keep Assist - become almost essential inasmuch as, were they taken away, they would be sorely missed! Many years ago I thought central locking was a gimmick. Imagine having to walk around the car checking that all the doors were locked; but that's what we were used to doing.

I totally agree with you about the Lane Keep Assist. I would go as far as to say it's the standout feature of the LS460 over say, a Mercedes S-Class. I can't understand why Lexus left it out of the LS600h variants for the sake of LED headlights.

If you want a large boot in a luxury car, look at the Mercedes. But I would worry about reliability.

I am looking to upgrade my LS400 to a 460 later this year.

Can anybody tell me how they compare in length ?

This is important for using my parking bay.

LS460 is 25mm longer than LS400.

Many thanks Jelly Bean.

That wont make any difference, will go ahead with my plans for a 460.

• 2 years later...

Hi there this is my first post on hear so bear with me :) i also have a lexus LS460 SE-L i know what the SE-L stands for its SPECIAL EQUIPMENT - LUXURY.

But my question is, on my log book and hpi check it came up as LEXUS LS460 SE-L A what does the A stand for i thought it may of stand for automatic but they are all automatic can any one clear this up for me ??

Thanks guys im looking forward to being a active member !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links