Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Baggy Seats

Hi,

Has anybody noticed, or worried about, the baggy leather on the seats (mainly drivers) where you sit? I've not experienced this before on leather seats where it appears to be stretching from use?

Thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

Has anybody noticed, or worried about, the baggy leather on the seats (mainly drivers) where you sit? I've not experienced this before on leather seats where it appears to be stretching from use?

Now you mention it mine is a bit "saggy" and I only weigh 80kg and have done less than 11,000 miles so yes, I am a touch concerned!

My current thinking is I'll change it at two years old so reckon I'll probably leave it until October/November and get Lexus to sort it so it's right for a new owner.

Hi,

Thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

I don't think this effect is any worse on mine than any other leather seat - they all seem to bag to some extent and the bigger the area separated by stitching the worse it is. I also think that using the seat heater makes things worse. I can remember thinking of buying a VW Corrado VR6 a number of years ago which had a virtually plain flat base to its leather seats, and at under a year old you could gather a double handful of the loose leather on the drivers seat. I looked at others and they were all like that. It is only really ancient cars where the leather was lots of sown strips that didn't seem to suffer from this. It just seems to be a characteristic of leather and affects furniture in the same way. Regular cleaning with a damp sponge with a little actual soap plus conditioning of the leather helps a bit - but not much. Also, the stuffing now has to be made of safe materials that won't catch fire or kill you with fumes if everything else does. Unfortunately the safe materials are hugely less resiliant and sag much more easily which makes the bagging seem even worse.

Hi,

Thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

I don't think this effect is any worse on mine than any other leather seat - they all seem to bag to some extent and the bigger the area separated by stitching the worse it is. I also think that using the seat heater makes things worse. I can remember thinking of buying a VW Corrado VR6 a number of years ago which had a virtually plain flat base to its leather seats, and at under a year old you could gather a double handful of the loose leather on the drivers seat. I looked at others and they were all like that. It is only really ancient cars where the leather was lots of sown strips that didn't seem to suffer from this. It just seems to be a characteristic of leather and affects furniture in the same way. Regular cleaning with a damp sponge with a little actual soap plus conditioning of the leather helps a bit - but not much. Also, the stuffing now has to be made of safe materials that won't catch fire or kill you with fumes if everything else does. Unfortunately the safe materials are hugely less resiliant and sag much more easily which makes the bagging seem even worse.

Thanks, excellent feedback. I think it is more like the filling, than anything else; as my M3 seats where of a similar design, and held up much better. I think I will wait and at least raise at the next service.

I also agree with the moisturising, as I do this often as I've found it helps with the bolsters (by not cracking and wearing)

The bolster on my drivers seat is wearing really badly. I think I may have to have a word with Lexus, because after 11K miles, it shouldn't be so badly worn. I don't even wear a jacket when driving so can't imagine it's caused by rough clothing.

However, on the plus side, no baggy seat!!

The bolster on my drivers seat is wearing really badly. I think I may have to have a word with Lexus, because after 11K miles, it shouldn't be so badly worn. I don't even wear a jacket when driving so can't imagine it's caused by rough clothing.

There have been comments about this here and in the USA. The big enemies of the bolsters are jeans where the fabric is coarse and abrasive - wearing away at the surface treatment of the leather while getting in & out . Unfortunately, the more supportive the seats; the worse it is because you have to slither over tall side bolsters. A really good example of this was the Peugot 306 where there was a big problem of wearing completely through the covering on the bolsters of fabric seats within a only couple of years. It was and is a problem with other cars too. You would think though, that Lexus should have been aware and reinforced the bolster surfaces taking into account that 2/3 of the world wear jeans or other abrasive garments - even if it meant the bolsters weren't quite as pretty.

There have been comments about this here and in the USA. The big enemies of the bolsters are jeans where the fabric is coarse and abrasive - wearing away at the surface treatment of the leather while getting in & out . Unfortunately, the more supportive the seats; the worse it is because you have to slither over tall side bolsters. A really good example of this was the Peugot 306 where there was a big problem of wearing completely through the covering on the bolsters of fabric seats within a only couple of years. It was and is a problem with other cars too. You would think though, that Lexus should have been aware and reinforced the bolster surfaces taking into account that 2/3 of the world wear jeans or other abrasive garments - even if it meant the bolsters weren't quite as pretty.

Hi I had wear problems on my drivers seat right on the edge as you get in, the black wore away showing the blue underneath, this was after 6000mls, lexus changed the cover no trouble

Hi I had wear problems on my drivers seat right on the edge as you get in, the black wore away showing the blue underneath, this was after 6000mls, lexus changed the cover no trouble

That's exactly the problem I have. I shall talk to them about it next time I'm there.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links