Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ipod Connection In A 2006 Gs300

Hi all,

I will soon be purchasing a 2006-7 Lexus GS300, I've spent ages trawlling didfferent car sites and have finally settled on this car and consider it an upgrade to my current BMW 525D especially in the features department, one issue I had with that car was a nightmare getting an ipod kit and I want to make sure I can get one for this before I purchase the car. I been reading up on this website and have seen quite a few references to the Vaistech products, looking on their website it seems their SoundLinQ SL2i-UP will connect the iPod up but will only allow you to browse by song title or playlist but if you have a 5th generation navigation system it will include artist, song, album etc which is what I want. How can you find out what generation of navigation system you have? I know 2006 cars have 4th generation but this car, although being a 56 plate, was apparently built in 2007 so want to check the unit when I view it. Just to note, this car will have sat navigation.

Can anyone offer any other products? I'm not bothered about video, I just want to be able to flick through my iPod albums from the touch screen.

Many thanks in advance,

Jason.

OK, I might be very wrong on this (please correct me if so!) but my understanding is that all European pre-facelift 3rd generation GS (i.e. 2005 - mid 2007) have 3rd gen nav. 4th gen nav was only used in the US (and maybe Japan?). 5th gen nav came to Europe with the 2007 facelift. Plenty of 2007 cars are still pre-facelift though. Easy way to tell difference: pre-facelift cars have a roughly rectangular Voice Command button on the steering wheel; post-facelift cars have a round button.

I got my 2005 GS300 a few months ago and have been looking into this sporadically since. (Again, I can't claim to be 100% accurate on everything!). AFAIK no Vaistech product will give 'full' info (artist, album, etc.) on Gen 3 or 4 nav. I've seen claims for other units but it's hard to determine what's accurate, especially with most info being US-based (and so likely Gen 4 or 5 nav). GROM Audio do iPod and iPod/USB adapters (for considerably cheaper than Vaistech) which some people seem to have had success with - there is a thread on Clublexus here. The DICE iPod/A2DP Bluetooth thingy sounds good but I haven't seen any reports of anyone actually installing one. Dension do some excellent units; their Gateway 300 should work with the GS but it's not clear from their compatibility charts whether it will display text on 3rd Gen GS, or even work at all.

Hmm.. I hope I don't have the same issue like I did with the BMW, I bought the Gateway 500 for that but it never worked and I had people connecting diagnostic units to it but still no joy..... The Dice unit looks promising but when they say 2006 we really need to know what Gen nave unit that is. I may contact them directly to see if they can help and maybe look for others that have fitted this unit. I will post up what I find...

Dension distributor told my ICE shop they had nothing for the 2005/6 UK GS. I'm on the lookout too, for something that won't disable all the CD drive. Not so bothered about track info, I just want to be able to advance tracks when on shuffle play.

I'm also eager to read what UK owners have sucessfully fitted

I'm really surprised there's not more about it! But I can't find much about people even trying it!

I found this page on the UK amazon site, they say it's compatible with 2000-2007 model GS300's.

Also this page, they state it's compatible with 2006-2009 models with all radios.

I contacted Dice in the US in regards to the UK spec Lexus and they came back with this:

Hello Jason,

There are some differences between the US and the UK Lexus systems but the

connection on the back of the radio should still be the same so our kits

should work just fine. You will not be able to use the kit in SAT mode but

MD and CDC modes will still work just fine.

Best Regards,

Jessie Wise | DICE Electronics, LLC

I've mailed them back asking if the text and album/artist will work, see what they say. Why will we not be able to use the sat mode in the UK? Do we not have that function?

I think I'll probably give it a go anyway if i don't get a definitive answer and if it doesn't work sell it on eBay.

Ok, they've just come back with:

Hello Jason,

Yes, both of those modes will allow you to control the iPod from the radio

controls and MD mode will support full text display as well.  CDC mode may

or may not support text on the 2006 system.

Best Regards,

Jessie Wise  |  DICE Electronics, LLC

So that's promising, out of interest, do the head units have a MD option?

I think the big problem is that while a system might be 'compatible' with a car, it may not display full info, and the supplier/manufacturer may well not know this. Andy: if you're not bothered about text I'd say mosts systems should work. I'd say even a Dension Gateway 100 should do the job.

Hi guys,

I just fitted an iPod kit for my 2007 Lexus GS300, I paid £99 from In Car iPod, The sound quality is great, and it works from steering wheel controls. The guys there talked me through on how to fit it, but had to pull of trim in the centre console, to get the radio out (was a bitch) and connect the iPod adaptor at the back, was worried i'd lose my CD changer, but that still works as before. Oh and it charges my Iphone.

They do offer a fitting service i'm told, perhaps i should have used that? It shows all the text and i can control albums and folders from the steering wheel, which is a really cool feature.

If you need any help fitting, send me an email and i will send you the details.

Daniel

I've bought a 56 plate GS300 SE Limited edition, it was bought in 2007 so I dunno if that makes it a 2007 or a 2006 model. I already have the iPod kit and I pick the car up Friday. I've 2 pdf's on how to install it, one from Lexus and one from Dice so I can compare the two, I'll try to upload them later.

Hi guys,

I just fitted an iPod kit for my 2007 Lexus GS300, I paid £99 from In Car iPod, The sound quality is great, and it works from steering wheel controls. The guys there talked me through on how to fit it, but had to pull of trim in the centre console, to get the radio out (was a bitch) and connect the iPod adaptor at the back, was worried i'd lose my CD changer, but that still works as before. Oh and it charges my iPhone.

They do offer a fitting service i'm told, perhaps i should have used that? It shows all the text and i can control albums and folders from the steering wheel, which is a really cool feature.

If you need any help fitting, send me an email and i will send you the details.

Daniel

This is great information Daniel, thanks. The place you mention sells more than one make for £99, which one did you get?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links