Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To Extend Or Not To Extend

Im new to the Lexus world. I will be collecting my lexus this weekend and have some questions.

Firstly its a 2006 IS250 SE Auto it has 115 000km and has the maintenance plan till 120 000km.

My question is, Is it worth me extending this plan? I'm pretty confident that the engine will last forever, i'm a little more concerned about the electronics, like the satnav, reverse camera, seat motors etc. Are these parts troublesome?

thanks

I have the same model as you but a 55 and the things that seem to concern you have not been a problem to me, yet , as far as extending the warranty goes I think its worth the risk not to as like you say the engine should be bomb proof. Enjoy.

Agree - engine will last forever. The only thing to remember though is the more luxury the more electronics and the more opportunity for things to go wrong. I have a 2006 SE-L and just had cruise system failure due to complete failure of electronic radar unit. Had to lay out £710 for recent repair. Whether that would have been covered on an extended warranty is another matter of course so check the small print as I'm sure a lot of the 'electronics' may not be covered anyway.

Agree - engine will last forever. The only thing to remember though is the more luxury the more electronics and the more opportunity for things to go wrong. I have a 2006 SE-L and just had cruise system failure due to complete failure of electronic radar unit. Had to lay out £710 for recent repair. Whether that would have been covered on an extended warranty is another matter of course so check the small print as I'm sure a lot of the 'electronics' may not be covered anyway.

My IS200D was 5 years when I exchanged it for an ex demo IS250C SE-L. In year 4 on the IS220D the extended warrantee that cost me £700 ish saved me a bill of £1600. In year 5 the head gasket went south, principally this was the reason why I chopped it in for a nearly new car however the repair bill ran into £6,000 plus, thankfully covered by the extended cover (after a disagreement with the warrantee company, apparently a head gasket is not a 'mechanical part') !!!

My nice nearly new IS250C SE-L had a problem last week with the Stereo, basically it stopped working ! To fix it they had to replace the computer (inc sat nav system) and the stereo head. According to the service manager the parts alone were £7,000 !!!!

When the manufactures warrantee runs out I will definitely be extending it (there's something daft like 30 motors used to wind the roof down)

Cheers Tony

My IS200D was 5 years when I exchanged it for an ex demo IS250C SE-L. In year 4 on the IS220D the extended warrantee that cost me £700 ish saved me a bill of £1600. In year 5 the head gasket went south, principally this was the reason why I chopped it in for a nearly new car however the repair bill ran into £6,000 plus, thankfully covered by the extended cover (after a disagreement with the warrantee company, apparently a head gasket is not a 'mechanical part') !!!

My nice nearly new IS250C SE-L had a problem last week with the Stereo, basically it stopped working ! To fix it they had to replace the computer (inc sat nav system) and the stereo head. According to the service manager the parts alone were £7,000 !!!!

When the manufactures warrantee runs out I will definitely be extending it (there's something daft like 30 motors used to wind the roof down)

Cheers Tony

And they say Lexus cannot be beaten on reliability!! Are they having a laugh?!!!

Still a cars a car and any car can go wrong but with a bog standard Ford with no bells and whistles I suppose you are lessening the chances of a huge bill - but where's the fun in driving one of them. Still love my Lexus!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links