Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mp3 Player Upgrade For 2002 Rx300

Has anyone any experience of the Xcarlink Lexus USB/SD MP3 Interface Model V

at http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=139&cat=29&page=1

My multi-changer is broken and I'm told it's thousands to repair/replace, so I'd rather replace it with a modern MP3 player.

I'm after something similar for my 04 plate RX. However as the CD player is goosed and I can't even select "Disc" as a function, I don't want to spend cash on something like this if there is no certainty it will work. Be interested to hear how you get on.

I removed my old CD player which was working perfectly and replaced it with a pioneer double din head unit.

This is good as I got the bezel from eBay and it fitted perfectly.

I also have sat nav and Bluetooth steering wheel remote and a reversing camera in the pioneer unit.

I wired it all myself and it does require an 8 core cable put in to the amp under the back seat.

Total cost for bits around £600 plus a couple of hours labour

Maybe this is the way to go for you.

• 4 months later...

I got on absolutely brilliantly!

I took out the broken 6-CD changer from the glove box of my 2002 RX 300, and replaced it with a Grom unit from http://www.carputer-shop.co.uk/usb-car-kits-c-7/toyota-lexus-usb-mp3-integration-kit-p-47 I needed the TOYF cable to act as an adaptor to the plug that I pulled out of the back of the CD changer, and the whole thing just worked. Sound quality is better that CD, I'd say, and you can copy as much music as you want, just about.

A (very) minor niggle is that not all the buttons on the display work, but random does, and that's about all you need. I used sticky-backed velcro to hold the unit to a base behind the glove box, through the hole left by the CD changer, where I can reach the USB stick for whenever I want to change the music.

Total cost about £120, I ordered on Thursday, it arrived Friday, and was installed Saturday. Brilliant!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links