Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs430 Suspected Timing Belt Failure

My beloved GS430 sport navigator (2001) has died with suspected timing belt failure. I have been told by the garage that there is no compression amd it will be costly to operate on it to verify the cause of the breakdown. I need to know if anybody has experienced timing belt failure on a 430 engine and if so does this cause major damage. Everything else is too perfect about this car to even consider the scrapyard. Any views greatly appreciated!

Ps Is there any easy way to check if the belt has snapped?

It is probable that the V8 in your 430 GS is a 'non - interference' engine where the valves would not clash with pistons if the timing belt slipped or broke.

I am sure someone will correct me or ex[lain in more detail if I am wromg.

Hi

Just checked this site out GS430 cam belt details as the cambelt is overdue replacement on my GS300 and it does appear that the engine in your GS430 is an interference engine so when cam belt fails you may have valve damage.

I had this a while back with an Audi 80 and the garage that repaired it said the worst thing you can do when it fails is to try and start the car as you just make the damage worse as I did not realising what had happened.

Good luck with the repair. If you need any advice I can give you the contact details of an excellent mechanic in Surrey that knows the Lexus V8 motor inside out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links