Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Embarrassing Boot Problem!

AndyM406

What fun I had driving home with the boot 2/3rds open, I've also noted the electric windows are working individually, but not from the drivers switches. I've removed the 4 bolts holding the actuator to allow me to get the boot closed, but what's a likely source of the problem? I've checked and double check all the fuses and they are working, I'm unsure what relay does what so I haven't 'checked' them.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Andy

Not saying its a definite cause and I'm no expert but I've heard of this sort of thing happening and electrics misbehaving after power surges i.e. fuses didn't do their job. A while ago I stupidly jump started with the polarities wrong way around (this was the single most stupid thing I've ever done for so many reasons - but thats another story!), lost ignition lost everything luckily the fuse did its job though and after an AA callout and replacement fuse all was fine, while waiting for the AA to arrive though I remember doing a bit of research on the web at the time and heard of many people experiencing problems with locks, windows, sunroof etc only partially working or not working at all after a reversed polarity jump start.

You need to reset your convience system, electric windows, sun roof reset positions, the procedure is to turn on the ingnition and individuly lower each window from each door, same with the sunroof then press and hold each window to the closed position and continue to hold for 10 seconds. from then on all should be well. Your rear door however I'am not sure about, but it could be a simlar problem. There is a procedure for door alignment and electrical set up in the workshop manual.

I 'had a go' this afternoon, undid the remaining 2 bolts to the tailgate, and had a thorough look at the actuator, it turned out the locking washer had bent and come off, hence the mechanism had stopped working and the gear was left in the way if I tried to close the boot manually. A little gentle tap into place of both the lever followed by the retaining washer and after a bit of fiddling around, reinstalling left the whole lot working!!

I followed the advice above on the windows and sunroof, complete success!!

Many, many, many thanks to those who helped and guided me.

Have a great Xmas!! Have a glass or two on me!!

Andy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links