Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bypass Relay.

Hi folks, anyone know if you need to fit a bypass relay when putting a towbar on a 2001 IS200se, some sites say yes, others no, just need to know whether to buy one with the towbar.

If you weren't so far away I'd gladly help. But for the standard lighting electrics, no you don't need a bypass relay. With the current fusing there's enough head room for the extra lights of a trailer (or caravan in our case).

You may however, run into little issues with the bulb failure warning system. These won't be solved whether you fit a bypass relay or not as it just doesn't like the extra wiring as they're very sensitive. It's as easy as cutting a couple of wires though to disable the bulb warning system.

Any other help just let me know, I fitted my tow bar about 6 months ago. it's not a big job by tow bar fitting standards.

It's just a light on the dashboard. The problem is, the brake light bulb failure warning light is the same light on the dash for brake fluid low etc, so you'll want to disconnect that one. The rear tail lights have a warning light of their own so that's not such a problem.

The lamp failure warning sensor box is located behind the panel in the boot that you will need to remove anyway to gain access to the wiring for your tow bar anyway.

Give me a shout if you need to know anything. You had a witter one?

You need to remove the exhaust and heat shield. Then it uses mainly existing mounting points. You then have to drill two holes through a double skin part of the boot to fit a sleeved bolt through. It's more a little awkward than difficult.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links