Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aux Belt Tensioner Seized?

RNUK

I have a horrendous screeching noise coming from one of my aux belts (I think it's the alternator belt). It's worse when it's cold and once the car has been running a few minutes the noise goes away.

I've checked the belt and it's going to need changing before long but the deflection seems a little excessive so I tried to tighten the tensioner a little.

At this point, it's probably worth mentioning that I am an utter novice and not sure which way tightens the tension, although logic dictates counter-clockwise would be correct???

After going both clockwise and counter-clockwise with no noticeable change in the tension and the screeching still present. I noticed that the bolt head of the tensioner had moved away from the collar rather than the clamp at the other end moving away.

Question is, is this what should happen which doesn't make a whole lot of sense or has the screw seized in the adjuster? And if so, can I use a squirt of WD40 to free it or is it a no no?

This may seem like an obvious and simple question and answer. Apologies of it is, I did say I was novice.

Can post pictures if that helps as I don't think I've explained to well.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

No, I didn't. I spoke to someone at work and they pointed me in the direction of the adjuster bolt but nothing about a nut in the pulley.

Just had another look and the nut in the middle if the pulley just spins the pulley? There is a nut underneath the alternator which looks like it's attached to the same clamp as the adjuster nut. Is this it?

I have loosened that up and re-tried the adjuster but the belt seem to be tensioning still.

Might have to send this in to the garage.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links