Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking For An Rx 300, Have Some Questions.

Hi all, hope you are well.

We've just decided to get another car and need something bigger to haul things around, as that’s all we ever do
in our small hatchback.

I’ve owned a couple of Lexus cars previously. 1 Soarer 2.5 TT and a Soarer 4.0, great cars and I miss them both.

I’m looking for an 06 RX with less than 50k miles, cream leather and satellite navigation. - I’ve heard some of

these cars came with air suspension? Is this a smoother ride? Is the system unreliable?

- If it has the sat nav system, does it have Bluetooth? Or was that an added extra?

What things should I really be looking out for when buying a car of this age?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Tom

I’ve heard some of these cars came with air suspension? Is this a smoother ride? Is the system unreliable?

- If it has the sat nav system, does it have Bluetooth? Or was that an added extra?

Yes, yes (a bit), yes it can be at that age.

Yes (at that age), no.

The RX300 SE-L grade has air suspension, probably best to avoid as it can be expensive to repair. Vehicles from July 2005 onwards have Bluetooth with sat nav although probably better to get a facelift model (June 2006 onwards) although that would be a RX350 rather than a RX300.

If you are looking at 400h models then none came with air suspension.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi tom,

I am considering buying an lexus RX.

The model to be decided but like you I need to look at the older models due to budget.

I'm looking for a car to pull my caravan with ease. What mpg do you get.

If you don't mind how much did you pay for yours so I know what I'm expecting to pay

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Hope you are well.

We paid £7,800 for it + road tax. It had 60 k miles on and a full service history. It's next service is due at 65k i believe.

It's like new inside and out, the only issue is it has budget tires on, something to look out for as i'm going to need to get a decent set on there soon especially as the winter is setting in. I've started another thread for that.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/94829-best-tyre-for-2005-rx-300/

I'd say we get somewhere between 25 - 30 MPG out of ours, i've not put my foot down on it ever, but i'm sure it would be less than that if I did. We've not taken it on a long trip yet but do plan to go to Germany in it for new year, so I will let you know what it gets then.

Also, I recently called Lexus to find out about tow bars since I would like to attach a bike rack, they quoted £900 for a tow bar to be fitted. Try and buy one with it already on if you can.

Other things to think about.

- Get one with the navigation, ours needs an update CD (part of the A21 does not appear to exist), but it's good and it works. Also you can get diagnostic codes from the screen if you get a check engine light flash up- Could save on garage costs here.

- They introduced Bluetooth sometime in 05 for phone handsfree, we have it on our other car and i'd not go without it.

- The SE-L model has the air suspension - some claim to have issues with this on car this age-- it can be costly to repair, i'm keeping my fingers crossed! (There are some threads on here about that)

- The SE-L model has an electric tailgate lift, useful if you have your hands full.

Here is an 05 300 that might be worth a punt, probably due a service.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Lexus-RX-300-3-0-SE-L-5dr-/321590143780?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ae0442b24

If budget allows probably go for the 350 - never driven one so I can't tell you the difference (sure others on here can)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-LEXUS-RX-350-3-5-SE-L-Auto-/311130237571?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4870ceaa83

Also remember that road tax is cheaper on these compared with a Landrover or a Rangerover as it's a crossover.

all in all a good buy, smooth and quiet ride, no regrets from us.

We are in Tunbridge Wells, if you are close let me know and you can have a look.

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom, you mentioned road tax being cheaper due to it being a crossover.... it's not due to it being a crossover m8 ..

it's £285 maximum pre 2006 for any car regardless of make, type or engine size ...

all Rx 350's are £500 as they replaced the Rx 300 with the Rx 350 in 2006 ...

the only Rx's with lower tax post 2006 are the Rx 400h {£255) & Rx 450 (£135)

I'm not 100% sure about the Rx 300 but the motorized tailgate isn't exclusive to the SE-L model on the Rx 400,

mines an Rx 400 SE & has one ... It also has Nav, Bluetooth phone, camera, Ipod & voice command ...

air suspension (Rx 300/350 models only - there is no air suspension on a 400) I think was only standard on the SE-L, the Mark Levinson stereo was the only thing exclusive to the SE-L on an Rx 400 not sure about the Rx 300/350 ...

NAV & ICE & camera were options on all Rx 400 models (I assume the 300 would be the same ?)

...bluetooth phone & voice command came with the NAV I think ... hope this helps ... :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links