Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vcs Check On - Codes C1249 & C1223

Hello folks!

Have been experiencing the dreaded VCS Check on light every now and again together with a buzzing sound since I bought my Lexus IS250. Lexus wanted £90 to check the errors so I've decided to check the errors myself and came out with the following codes:

C1249 - Stop light switch circuit

C1223 - ABS Malfunction

Does anyone had a similar problem? Shall I take it to the dealer to get it fixed or is it something that a competent mechanic should be able to fix?

Thanks in advance for your help.

C1223 just means a problem with the ABS system, so the other code could cause it.

C1249 means that the brake light circuit isn't working. The ABS uses the brake light circuit to tell when you are pressing the brake, and so arms the ABS system. However, it has got other ways of telling when the brake is on (by measuring speed, hydraulic pressures, etc.), so if it gets a discrepancy then it will set this code.

The easy way to tell if this is the likely problem is to switch the car on, and put a brick on the brake pedal. Then go and see if the brake lights are on. If they aren't, it confirms a problem with the brake light system.

It would be worth checking the brake light fuse, which is in the drivers footwell fusebox. If this is blown, it can cause this problem.

If this isn't the problem, then I would expect a competent auto electrician to be able to take a stab at it, although they may not have the computer needed to reset the ABS system.

C1223 just means a problem with the ABS system, so the other code could cause it.

C1249 means that the brake light circuit isn't working. The ABS uses the brake light circuit to tell when you are pressing the brake, and so arms the ABS system. However, it has got other ways of telling when the brake is on (by measuring speed, hydraulic pressures, etc.), so if it gets a discrepancy then it will set this code.

The easy way to tell if this is the likely problem is to switch the car on, and put a brick on the brake pedal. Then go and see if the brake lights are on. If they aren't, it confirms a problem with the brake light system.

It would be worth checking the brake light fuse, which is in the drivers footwell fusebox. If this is blown, it can cause this problem.

If this isn't the problem, then I would expect a competent auto electrician to be able to take a stab at it, although they may not have the computer needed to reset the ABS system.

Hi ChumpusRex,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've checked the brake lights and they are working fine.

So it must related to either a blown fuse or something else.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links